Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1965 Mustang Convertible Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 10:47 PM
ryan.debok

Default 1965 Mustang Convertible Project

Hey all. I'm in the parts gathering stage for my mustang project. Here are my goals.

1. Keep it cheap: Keep it as inexpensive as possible by doing most of the labor myself and using donor parts.
  2. Mod it: Cool upgrades like rear IRS, 5.0 HO motor, T5 Transmission, 4 wheel disc brakes. For all the haters out there... yes, I'm going to try and make this a modded mustang. My dad has a '65 convertible that is pretty much stock, so this one is going to be different.
  3. Love my family, wife and Jesus in the process: I've dreamed of having a mustang since I was 8 years old. I'm 36 and its finally coming together. But I'd rather let go of the dream if it comes at the expense of my family life. I'll also (try) not to make this a selfish materialistic endeavor that opposes my faith in Christ. Ultimately, I want to honor Jesus through my life (and this project just so happens to be a part of my life).

The Collection
  • 1965 Mustang Convertible C Code/2bbl chassis that is almost rust-free that I bought local for around 2k! I sold the original engine and 3 speed transmission that needed to be completely overhauled anyway for about $500
  • 2003 Cobra IRS: I found one on Craigslist for about $700 with everything but the struts. While this will probably be one of the most challenging parts of the project, I think the results will be worth it. I'm aware of significant challenges with this installation in a '65 (as compared to a '67).
  • 1989 Mustang GT (wrecked): I found this Mustang on Craigslist and bought it for $700. It's got a running engine with 80,xxx miles. T5 transmission, good exhaust, all of the systems are untouched. I'd love to transplant as much as possible into the '65 convertible.
  • 2003 17" Bullitt Wheels
  • 2 Fenders that need some minor rust repair (the '65 didn't come with fenders) for about $150.
The Work (so far)
  • IFS Commitment: I removed the front suspension from the '65 and sold it on Craigslist to someone who was upgrading their 6cyl mustang. I probably should have had a better plan in place, but now I really need to decide what I'm going to do here. I would really like to have matching cobra disc brakes all around, but don't know the suspension options well enough to know what would work with the Cobra 13" brakes. I also don't want to have to use a wheel spacer to get the correct overall wheel width. Here are the kits that I've looked at. I'd love to hear your opinions on these.
    • EBay: I've seen kits on eBay for around $900. I'm concerned about the quality, the track width.
    • TCI: This appears to be one of the best IFS kits out there, but the $3500 price tag probably puts this out of reach for me.
    • AJE K Member:
    • Heidts:
    • Custom SN95 shock-tower weld-in:
What's Next?
  • Find a Place to Work: I live in town, in a HOA. Work isn't going to happen here. I may transport both cars to my grandparents barn in Iowa where I can take time every so-often and do some work on the car.
  • Rust repair: Although there isn't any extreme rust damage, I've found some structural rust damage on the front driver's side torque box. There may be some on the rocker panels, cowls, etc. I don't have equipment to sand-blast, but maybe I should look into some equipment for this. I need to find out what's rusty and start saving some $$$ for replacement parts.
  • Front Suspension: I have to commit to a front suspension, save some $$$ for it and start installing it.
Stay tuned. I'll post some pictures soon. Thanks for your interest in my project.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:19 AM
ryan.debok

Default Pictures

Old 04-18-2015, 07:12 AM
ryan.debok

Default 1989 GT Mustang 5.0 EFI T5 Donor

Old 04-18-2015, 07:25 AM
ryan.debok

Default My Family

Old 05-03-2015, 05:42 AM
ryan.debok

Default Suspension & Steering

I've decided on the AJE 1965 K Member. It's $1401.99 on CJ Pony Parts. It requires late model spindles and brakes from a 1994-2004 Mustang which I found for $100 from a 1998 Mustang. Also, my '89 Fox Body rack & pinion bolts right in. I think my steering column, steering box, etc will need to be replaced. Any suggestions on this?

AJE 1965 K Member Kit for 4.6/5.0L Engine
Old 05-03-2015, 06:14 AM
ryan.debok

Default Shock Tower Support

The AJE K Member requires use of the original shock towers. This is a bummer. I had hoped to cut these out and open up the engine compartment. The nice thing about the AJE K Member is that it's minimally invasive. I can always go Mustang II in the future.

But now that the shock towers are staying I need to find a new shock tower brace that clears the 5.0 EFI Plenum. It looks like this is the way I'll go.

1 Piece Shock Tower Brace for 1965-68 Mustang provides clearance for a 5.0 EFI Engine. $100.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:17 AM
ryan.debok

Default Title for Modded Mustang

It hit me that this Mustang will no longer be the original. Does anyone know the title, inspection, etc issues that accompany a car with these modifications?
Old 05-03-2015, 08:18 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ryan.debok
It hit me that this Mustang will no longer be the original. Does anyone know the title, inspection, etc issues that accompany a car with these modifications?
None here in PA, your state may be different, but I doubt it on that part.

Lynn
Old 05-03-2015, 08:25 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ryan.debok
[*]Love my family, wife and Jesus in the process: I've dreamed of having a mustang since I was 8 years old. I'm 36 and its finally coming together. But I'd rather let go of the dream if it comes at the expense of my family life. I'll also (try) not to make this a selfish materialistic endeavor that opposes my faith in Christ. Ultimately, I want to honor Jesus through my life (and this project just so happens to be a part of my life).[/LIST]
That is AWESOME!!

Trying to do the same thing here. God has gotten us this far going into our 6 year project so far and when I work on the car I feel he is there giving me the knowledge that I can handle at the moment to get the job done. I always pray before working on tasks and sometimes when done, I should work on that one.

I get down on my knees and pray thanks when I get big stuff done that I could never have pulled off without his guidance, wisdom, and help from above.

Welcome aboard and great looking project!!

Lynn

Last edited by LynnBob Mustang; 05-03-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:32 PM
ryan.debok

Originally Posted by LynnBob Mustang
That is AWESOME!!

Trying to do the same thing here. God has gotten us this far going into our 6 year project so far and when I work on the car I feel he is there giving me the knowledge that I can handle at the moment to get the job done. I always pray before working on tasks and sometimes when done, I should work on that one.

I get down on my knees and pray thanks when I get big stuff done that I could never have pulled off without his guidance, wisdom, and help from above.

Welcome aboard and great looking project!!

Lynn
Thanks for the encouragement. I have a lot to learn.

Quick Reply: 1965 Mustang Convertible Project