Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

427 in a 65 Mustang??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 04:31 PM
ajzride
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slem
Not sure if the engine bay dimensions on a 66 are the same as a 68.
68 has quite a bit more room than a 65 does for a 351w. Removing the towers is not neccessary. But if I had it to do over agai. I would go with a 302 block or move the towers. It's such a pain to work on.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:20 PM
Slem

Abso-f*&king-lutely!!! If I were to do it all over again I'd cut out the shock towers and tub the rear!!!
Old 05-12-2015, 05:26 PM
Slem

RacerDave had good points too. If you pump that much power thru the uni-body your just gonna end up twisting/destroying the car. TCP makes a descent subframe connecter with X brace. I added that and boxed the subframe and added a 6pt cage plus old school Shelby weld on traction bars (all these parts are connected). Shoulda probably just caged the entire car but the chassis is pretty solid and I haven't noticed the lead welds in the roofline starting to ripple.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:39 PM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cssep1
Just considering a 351w 427 Ford Racing Engine (600 hp) in my 65 Mustang. I have a tired V8 right now and I want to go fast. I have all new better than stock suspension and 17 tires. I also have power steering and A/C. I will eventually get a new transmission and rear diff. Will all these fit where they used to. I know I will have to put new headers on, but what else?
WHOA, 427 --AWESOME, but if were me me I'd be thinling about a 289 cobra or 351 cleveland, again thats me, either way have fun with your build and keep us updated
Old 05-12-2015, 07:27 PM
Slem

I looked into the Cleveland motor. can't remember the particulars but there were issues putting one in an older body as well.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:01 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

I looked into the Cleveland motor. can't remember the particulars but there were issues putting one in an older body as well.
Then you didn't look hard enough

Stock 65 sheet metal
TCP subframes
front torque boxes
410 Cleveland

Here's what it looked like when I still ran the stock hood and radiator size
http://www.dodgestang.com/emAlbum/al...y/REREI001.jpg
http://www.dodgestang.com/emAlbum/al...y/MIRRO008.jpg

Then I went with a taller intake so I put an aftermarket hood on for clearance on height
http://www.dodgestang.com/emAlbum/al..._overlay/7.jpg

I won't lie though....it is tight...tight enough that I have always run a torque strap
http://www.dodgestang.com/emAlbum/al...y/351c-122.jpg

427w is a cool choice. Bolt and go with swap headers, add the bracing recommended, add big brakes to stop it, upgrade the rear to take the power level, make sure you pick a good transmission and have fun with it.

I love my Street or track BIG brakes
http://www.dodgestang.com/emAlbum/al...y/DSC00140.JPG
Old 05-12-2015, 09:31 PM
Slem

Good Lord that's nice!!

I think my issue when trying to select a motor was support. Everyone makes stuff for the Windsor. Cleveland stuff is available too but not like for the other.

You're putting out bout 450hp on that rig huh?
Old 05-12-2015, 09:39 PM
Slem

Was looking at your pics...is that a Maryland Plate? I remember goin to Maple Grove as a youngster. Also, the Airforce used to open their runways at Dover, DE and McGuire, NJ for racing once a month. Those were good times!!
Old 05-12-2015, 09:55 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

I think my issue when trying to select a motor was support. Everyone makes stuff for the Windsor. Cleveland stuff is available too but not like for the other.
You know the adage....you don't need a lot of that stuff with a cleveland...aside from roller rockers, screw in studs and one piece valves I am using stock 4v open chamber heads

You're putting out bout 450hp on that rig huh?
400 HP at the back tire per a dyno

Was looking at your pics...is that a Maryland Plate?
Yes. I run it at Cecil Country Drag occasionally on test and tune track rentals....otherwise it is a street car. Used to drive it to the office on nice days (126 miles round trip).
Old 05-12-2015, 10:18 PM
Slem

Awesome! I grew up just south of Philly on the Tri State Boundry.

Intention with mine was to compete in historic road racing. But now it's just a hot street car to drive on dry days. Started building in AZ then moved to NM and now TX. Slowly working my way back east.

The heads on the Clevelands are a nice setup! I'm runnin Dart CNC Pro 1's with a roller cam and rockers, ARP studs, Victor jr intake, and prob too much compression! LOL Started with 10.3 but I'm sure it's closer to 11. Some 93 with a splash of race gas and it's on!! LOL I could easily drive it in traffic...however...I think I'm getting 3 gallons to the mile!! LMAO I dyno'd in October...550hp/575tq at 5000' elevation. I think we corrected to 575hp/600tq sea level. I'm undercarbed with a 750 Demon. Figure I'll gain more power when I step up to an 803 or 850 double pumper...but then I'll be in the 5 gallons per mile range! LOL

Quick Reply: 427 in a 65 Mustang??