Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

427 in a 65 Mustang??

Old 04-19-2015, 09:20 PM   #1
cssep1

Vehicle: 65 Mustang
Cool 427 in a 65 Mustang??

Just considering a 351w 427 Ford Racing Engine (600 hp) in my 65 Mustang. I have a tired V8 right now and I want to go fast. I have all new better than stock suspension and 17 tires. I also have power steering and A/C. I will eventually get a new transmission and rear diff. Will all these fit where they used to. I know I will have to put new headers on, but what else?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
cssep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:57 AM   #2
ajzride
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 1965 ford mustang coupe

I have a 351w based motor in my 65. It is really tight, but certainly can be down. You typically need a bracket to drop the steering linkage down about an inch to clear the headers. Headmen sells one for about $15. Depending on wether you have a manual or automatic transmission, your header choices can get pretty limited. If you have a stick and want to swap the clutch to a cable or hydraulic, you open up more choices. I stuck with the z-bar linkage and the headers do some crazy stuff to clear the z-bar.
ajzride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:54 AM   #3
cssep1

Vehicle: 65 Mustang

I want to stick with an automatic transmission. Does the PS and AC still bolt on the 351 block? Will that much HP twist the frame. I use Monte Carlo bar, and sub frame connectors with a crossover bar.
cssep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:18 AM   #4
racer_dave
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1967 Mustang Fastback

Tie the subframes and add the torque boxes. If it's really making 600hp the uni-body isn't going to like it. Upgrade the brakes too. Once you're going, you gotta stop.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:45 AM   #5
groho
4th Gear Member

BFS....BIG F"@KIN SHOE-HORN!
groho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:55 PM   #6
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1965 shelby

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssep1 View Post
I want to stick with an automatic transmission. Does the PS and AC still bolt on the 351 block? Will that much HP twist the frame. I use Monte Carlo bar, and sub frame connectors with a crossover bar.
you need all matching pulleys . . 69 windsor water pump and pulleys or 70 windsor water pump and pulleys.
barnett468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM   #7
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 69 Mach1

Why not a 347/363 based on a 302? Could be just as much fun and easier to do.
69Mach1 - warmed up 395W (AFR 185s) and broken POS Gforce T5 with hydraulic clutch, 3.5" Alum DS, 3.50:1 posi, rack&pinion/tilt, 235/50ZR17x8 front & 285/40ZR18x9 rear, American Racing Nova wheels, all MSD, Holley 750, custom paint, headlight relays, Shelby drop & 2" lower all around, Hotwheels Redline scale is 1 to 1.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v618/danaranda/69stang
69mach1377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement