Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Late model 302, pulleys and waterpump

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 03:59 PM
Silverblade
2nd Gear Member

Default Late model 302, pulleys and waterpump

Hey guys, I have done a bunch of research in the last week or 2 but I am finding conflicting information on some things and not finding any answers on the other stuff. I am hoping someone can help.

I have a late model 302 (347) that I am going to run a carb and mechanical fuel pump on.

The motor is currently set up for a reverse rotation water pump. My problem with this is that I don't have power steering, air conditioning, or any other front end accessories so I am not sure about what to do for an idler to keep the reverse rotation (do I just mount an idler pulley on a drivers side alternator bracket?) I like the clean look of a 3 pulley serpentine set up for a standard rotation pump, crankshaft, and passenger side alternator so I am leaning towards going this way. If I kept it reverse rotation does anyone have a picture or diagram of the idler that is needed? I cant seem to find one without all the other accessories. I also need to figure out which timing chain cover to get for the standard rotation water pump and mechanical fuel pump.

I read that an early 80s Lincoln towncar or thunderbird or a few other options will provide the standard rotation waterpump. Does the timing chain cover have to be from an early 80s 302 non-mustang car or can I run one from a 68 mustang that had a 302? I am not sure if there is issues with the angle of the water passage on the timing chain cover? Obviously the water pump would have to match the timing chain cover. If I had a water pump from a 68 mustang could I put a ribbed serpentine pulley on it or no? I guess at the end of the day I want to confirm which timing chain cover and standard rotation water pump will best suit me for this. Would I have issues with the older cover not fitting with the roller cam and added eccentric? Anyone have a cover for sale that will work for me?

Thanks guys
Old 04-25-2015, 04:21 PM
Silverblade
2nd Gear Member

One more question, is anyone running a power steering pump with standard rotation water pump and no AC? I am wondering if I can mount a (future) PS pump half way in height between the water pump pulley and the crank pulley on the drivers side of the car and still get adequate bite? I will be mounting my alternator low in about the same height so they would end up making a sideways diamond shape. Would that cause me issues? Or would I be better off mounting the alternator higher, keeping the reverse rotation water pump and running an idler for a couple years until I switch to a power rack and pinion?

Sorry for all the questions I just need some direction from the guru's

Thanks again.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:38 AM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

I'm running a similar setup, no ac or ps. I did just what you said, setup an idler pulley on the driver side. As far as I know the late model 5.0s don't have an outlet for mechanical fuel pump so you 'll need to run electric. You also need to tap the timing covers for a dipstick, don't forget to do that before you put it together. I would just use the reverse rotation pump and timing cover that the motor already has. You'll be looking around for a while trying to mix and match different pieces. the easiest thing to do is just set up an idler pulley. I took a couple pics for you of my belt routing. If you want I'll get the part number off the belt so you can match the length. I believe the idler pulley I found has a part number too, I just have to look for it.

Last edited by Mustangdemon67; 04-28-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:35 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

can someone enlighten me on what the point is in running reverse rotation?
i'm running alternator only and noirmal rotation pump. so it's a triangle between crank waterpump and alternator.
if i ever wanted to add powersteering (which I never will) i could have that on driver side and route a 2nd belt crank, waterpump and pspump as a 2nd triangle. obviously the crank and waterpump will need 2 grooves then for belts
Old 05-04-2015, 12:05 AM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

well, i dont know that there is a benefit. the reason im running it is because thats just how the 5.0 i got is setup with the serpentine belt system and i didnt want to change too much up. But i have seen people run serpentine systems with standard rotation. some nice setups here

http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-...ter-pumps.html
Old 05-04-2015, 01:57 AM
Silverblade
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Mustangdemon for the pics and info. I think I will go that way. I plan to switch out the timing chain cover for one with a mechanical fuel boss. I was going to go electric but I don't like the retrofit inline pump I'd rather buy a new tank with an intank pump but the only one I found was for fuel injection so too high psi pump. Anyone know of a kit?

Originally Posted by kalli
can someone enlighten me on what the point is in running reverse rotation?
i'm running alternator only and noirmal rotation pump. so it's a triangle between crank waterpump and alternator.
if i ever wanted to add powersteering (which I never will) i could have that on driver side and route a 2nd belt crank, waterpump and pspump as a 2nd triangle. obviously the crank and waterpump will need 2 grooves then for belts
No advantage other than to add in the power steering pump. If I didn't want to run ps in the future I would switch to standard rotation and run 3 pulleys like yourself. If the power steering pulley would work mounted mid right of the front of the motor half way between crank and water pump and I put the alternator mid left I would go that way and turn your triangle into a diamond I just don't know if I would get adequate bite on the crank and water pump. If the belt is ribbed it might work. Or would this be asking for trouble?