Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Intake and Carb Swap

Old 05-14-2015, 10:12 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

yes the weiand and summit are both medium/high rise intakes.

i use these 5/16" thick phenolic spacers . . connect your pcv to that.

https://www.npdlink.com/store/produc...-107444-0.html

Last edited by barnett468; 05-14-2015 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:20 PM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

Ok so I will go with the performer rpm intake, and do these gaskets look good?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-1262s3

Thanks for the steps you listed barnett. I am supposed to run washers and lock washers on the intake bolts? Also what do you guys recommend in the way of permatex? If summit carries a brand you guys trust I will go with that.

For the pcv I was trying to find a threaded nipple fitting that I could just tap into the phenolic spacer I am getting.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:57 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by guitarman376
Thanks for the steps you listed barnett. I am supposed to run washers and lock washers on the intake bolts?
no prob, you're welcome . . you can get away without lock washers but you will have to check them periodically to see if they loosened . . hex bolts will look kinda dorky on an aluminum intake . . allens look nice with the AN style flat washers . . they have a very small od so they dont look dorky.

Ok so I will go with the performer rpm intake...
For the pcv I was trying to find a threaded nipple fitting that I could just tap into the phenolic spacer I am getting.
unless you have a 7000 rpm cam , i would not put a spacer on the rpm intake.

Also what do you guys recommend in the way of permatex? If summit carries a brand you guys trust I will go with that.
Originally Posted by barnett468
put a thin bead of permatex black gasket maker silicone

Last edited by barnett468; 05-15-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:31 PM
Slem

The Weiand Stelth is a high rise dual plane design. However, that's not to say that it's a high rise as in a single Victor type intake. Dual planes are desirable for street use. You could run that stelth with a double pumper and still fit it under your hood. I run a victor Jr W/a big demon and a 3" cowl hood. Still got room for a 4.5" thick air cleaner. Fel Pro gaskets are OK but cometics are much better and will save headaches down the road. You don't have to go crazy with hella strong hardware since nothing on the intake and above is a stressed member. You're more concerned about a good seal then you are about a 65000psi strength bolt. Many run a bead of sealant across the front and back of where the intake sits on the block instead of gaskets. Don't do it! If you get a Cometic kit those gaskets work fabulously!
Old 05-15-2015, 08:49 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

you should not use hardware store grade 5 bolts . . most are chinese and are equivalent to around grade 3.5 us . . they stretch like a rubber bands.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:10 PM
Slem

Although many people do it, you shouldn't use hardware store fasteners on anything automotive...unless your sponsor is Lowe's or Home Depot! Please tell me you don't have Home Depot Grade 8 "Hardware Fasteners" on that Shelby?
Old 05-15-2015, 09:12 PM
Slem

Of course Guitarman could save a ton of money and time if he just re-tapped the fuel inlet...
Old 05-15-2015, 10:26 PM
Slem

Not to whip a dead horse...buuuutttttt...you shouldn't need studs or perma-glue to locate your intake gaskets. The intake gaskets on a 351W will sit right on top of the tabs of the head gasket at the front and back of each bank of pistons. Avoid the glue wherever possible...it's gets into places it shouldn't be, makes a mess and looks ghetto!
Old 05-16-2015, 12:55 AM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

Barnett: the spacer is more for heat dissipation than anything... I could run a small one but then still have the decision how to hook up pcv... I was going to do a 1/2" spacer and buy a threaded nipple fitting like I said... with a 1/4" spacer I am not sure that is sufficient thickness for me to run a nipple fitting that is large enough through. Is there such thing as too small a pcv port at the end of the hose? Or would a super small one work? Other pcv ideas?
slem: Cometic it is then. Hey like I said I am using this as an excuse to do something I was going to do anyway. The 351w wants to gallop. Pretty much everyone uses at least some permatex and I think it would be foolish not to coat the gasket and the corners with it. I will try the end seals and see how it goes.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:52 PM
Slem

"Pretty much everyone uses at least some permatex..."

Hard to argue that logic! LOL

A question if I may? You said you want to ventilate the crank case (PCV) but you wanna put it on the carb spacer which in turn would actually become a vacuum port. Would you be running a parallel PCV (2PCV's) or replacing the current PCV set-up? A stock 351W shouldn't need a dual feed fuel line AKA double pumper carb. You can get a modern single float carb with plenty of vacuum ports. You shouldn't need a spacer...even for heat dissipation, especially if you get an airgap. What you're essentially doing is taking a dual plane intake and turning it into a pseudo high rise Victor jr type intake. I'm kinda with Barnett on this one. You don't need the spacer unless you're trying to change the operating parameters of the engine. But why bother with all that when you could just get a highrise part? Something else to ponder, unless you have some head work done and maybe some other mods putting the spacer, dual feed lines, big carb and such won't be an optimal config.

Not trying to dash any dreams. Just tryin to think it out. It's to easy to get sucked into the bigger is better mindset.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intake and Carb Swap