Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Carb issues?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 10:32 PM
alexpapa

Default Carb issues?

So this is where I am today...

Yesterday I took my '66 200cid out for a drive, it was a really hot day (mid 90's) and the car ended up stalling on me and I eventually had to get towed back home.

Before that, the only adjustment I had tried to make was to the idle (mixture) screw on the carb to try and help with cold starts. A short drive after that didn't reveal any problems so I thought I was good to go.

While trying to get her restarted I ended up destroying the solenoid so I've since repaired that.

Now, I'm a bit stuck and out of my depth. The car is still in the same pattern, starts up after cranking but dies out immediately, won't hold an idle at all. I can pump the gas and get the revs up and long as I keep letting off and hitting the gas pedal again but as soon as I let go or keep it in one position it cuts out.

I've checked electricals to make sure everything is ok. I have a PerTronix ignitor (previous owner installed) so I don't think there's an issue with the ignition as it is firing.

I've checked the fuel pump and it's pumping gas.

Where should I troubleshoot next, do I need to start setting up the carb from scratch?

Along the way I've found out that the hot air choke tube was broken off the exhaust manifold entirely and the choke seems to have been set to open (again, before I owned this so not sure what the thinking was there). I've ordered a new tube in the meantime to get that replaced.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:55 AM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

This sounds like your running jets are crudded up. The engine runs when you pump the gas because the accelerator pump pumps in gas, but as soon as that is burned the engine dies. Or you float is stuck open and opening the throttle will burn the extra gas but with the throttle closed it is flooding. Either way, sounds like you need to rebuild the carb. Easy job, remove it, buy a kit and rebuild it.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:15 AM
alexpapa

Oh fun, at least it seems like it's isolated at the carb now.

Do these rebuilds have a shelf life? I had it done in July last year when I bought the car by a company that does rebuilds.

Could the adjustment I made have caused the problem?
Old 07-10-2015, 03:36 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

OK . . check the timing it should be 10 to 12 degrees btdc.

Adjust the fuel mix screw in and out until it reaches the highest idle . . if the screw has no affect, your carb may be dirty.

Check for air leaks . . plug the vacuum ports on the intake . . if this fixes it you have a vacuum leak . . spray flammable brake cleaner with the long nozzle gently around the carb bss and vacuum fittings . . if the rpm goes up you have a leak.

Check the points gap . . they should be .026 to .028".
Old 07-10-2015, 03:43 PM
alexpapa

Originally Posted by barnett468
OK . . check the timing it should be 10 to 12 degrees btdc.

Adjust the fuel mix screw in and out until it reaches the highest idle . . if the screw has no affect, your carb may be dirty.

Check for air leaks . . plug the vacuum ports on the intake . . if this fixes it you have a vacuum leak . . spray flammable brake cleaner with the long nozzle gently around the carb bss and vacuum fittings . . if the rpm goes up you have a leak.

Check the points gap . . they should be .026 to .028".
timing is definitely beyond my skill level but I have a friend taking a look for me tomorrow, thanks for the ideas.

I also contacted the dealer who rebuilt my carb last and they said I have a lifetime warranty so I can still send it in for a checkup