Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

HOT starting issues 351W

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 07:08 AM
dmaclaren
2nd Gear Member

Will do.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:22 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Have you figured this out yet? It seems everyone has a 351 here, so I'll throw in my 2 cents. I'm not familiar with the mallory dist but, this is typical symptoms of an ignition module going bad. When you turn key on, module fires and motor trys to turn. Also, you shouldn't need to touch the gas when restarting hot. I have the 351, 600 holley myself and once it is warmed up, i only need to turn the key and it fires right off. Any pumping only floods it which I think you are doing and makes it harder to fire.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:06 AM
dmaclaren
2nd Gear Member

The pedal to the floor did not work same issue. I have not put in the spacer as nothing has changed. I think the hot coil is ruled out as I don't have to wait for it to cool down again to start just pump the pedal. I may have to get the spacer, I would need small plastic then because of the shaker hood, tight fit and all. Nice gas into carb while pumping. I do see the smoke/steam from hot engine when it pumps into carb. so I am pumping a ton of gas in before the start, how much to fill the bowls?

the key to off and on position is interesting, the above "Ignition module" is this the solenoid he is reffering to? My layout is like this image below for 65& up. COuld it be the voltage regulator as pictured as well?

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...tor-jpg.56768/

Last edited by dmaclaren; 08-09-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:23 AM
dmaclaren
2nd Gear Member

Okay this may be important to the issue. On a cold start, if I really just give a pedal push to start it recently will run rough, like there is an aggressive cam in it "duh duh da duh da du da" is all I can explain.

I need to give it a couple thumps on the pedal for the idle to smooth out. When it does the above rough idle at cold start, it's a smelly exhaust and exhaust smoke.

after the pedal pushed it's back and fine in seconds.

does this shed more light?
Old 08-09-2015, 09:53 AM
dmaclaren
2nd Gear Member

ALso if I just get a second coil to test, can I just get any coil? THe one that is in ther is when I bought the car, it's just black, no name brand. I have a mallory unilite distributor
Old 08-09-2015, 10:52 AM
dmaclaren
2nd Gear Member

Okay, I checked the ohm on the Primary and secondary when it was hot, forgot to when cold. it was 1.6-7 and 11.5k then it cooled a bit and the readings were lowered and I was able to start it.

So, I am going to just pick up a basic 12v coil at the local store and put it in and try, coils are cheap and the one in it is nothing special

thoughts?
Old 08-10-2015, 08:19 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

...plug it in and see what smokes

Have you taken a look to see what color spark you're getting ?
Old 08-10-2015, 01:19 PM
dmaclaren
2nd Gear Member

Put in a new coil and no start

I need to test it for spark, ohm's look good but not starting. Do I need to adjest the timing with a new coil?
Old 08-10-2015, 03:27 PM
dmaclaren
2nd Gear Member

returned the coil and picked up a Accel Super Stock Coil, it's all that was in stock.

Car starts now and it's getting warmed up for a hot start test.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:37 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

......and?

Quick Reply: HOT starting issues 351W