Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

HOT starting issues 351W

Old 08-10-2015, 08:35 PM
dmaclaren
2nd Gear Member

okay, so more issues. when hot i have to turn the key for a second no gas. if i turn for longer it wont start. got smoke out exhaust nasty smelling too. carb issue? too rich? odd on quick turn over. something else must be at play.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:45 PM
dmaclaren
2nd Gear Member

Okay, I just went to start it cold, took a couple cranks. then turned off and restarted it. THen off again then tried and let it crank a few more times then the strater didn't turn over.

I get the throw out sound , one click and not multiple like low battery, then lights dim out like a power drain.

Then a little smell, I open the hood and the solenoid was hot at the battery and starter posts (spit sizzle hot) and the cables were hot.

Is it a bad solenoid or another issue? what causes this?
wow, getting worse

Last edited by dmaclaren; 08-10-2015 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:44 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dmaclaren
Okay, I just went to start it cold, took a couple cranks. then turned off and restarted it. THen off again then tried and let it crank a few more times then the strater didn't turn over.

I get the throw out sound , one click and not multiple like low battery, then lights dim out like a power drain.

Then a little smell, I open the hood and the solenoid was hot at the battery and starter posts (spit sizzle hot) and the cables were hot.

Is it a bad solenoid or another issue? what causes this?
wow, getting worse
Sounds like your starter just died. Maybe just a loose or burnt cable at starter.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:06 AM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

You may have a blown head gasket and are filling a cylinder with coolant. You can get hydrolok if the leak has gotten big enough. This would lock the engine from turning causing a very high current drain on the starter when that cylinder comes up to compression. The leak may only happen with the engine hot. Check the antifreeze level and the oil level to insure antifreeze hasn't gone down and oil level has not increased.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:44 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

I had a hot start issue a couple years ago. Similar to your new problem. I ended up replacing the starter. After 3 auto zone started I got one at Napa and have not Han an issue since.

Your initial problem though may be timing. If the dist is too advanced then it may cause a hot start problem.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:23 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like your starter just died.
I'd vote (and hope) it's the starter, loose cables will only overheat at the point where there is poor contact.
If the solenoid overheats it usually means the starter is shorted internally.
You may have a blown head gasket and are filling a cylinder with coolant.
You definitely want to pull all of the plugs and see if there is any antifreeze in your cylinders. If there is-you'll damage the engine and the starter by cranking it.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:37 AM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

if you have a holley or quick fuel carb . . your gas level must be just below the inspection holes in the carb at idle.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:55 AM
dmaclaren
2nd Gear Member

Okay, blown head gasket and anit in the cyl, scary.

I did replace the starter and solenoid(cause it was $15 and now shiny )

All is great, way better cranking and easy to start. Now I need to test a hot start today.

If the issue is there, I am then going to get a timing light and check that out

Stay tuned.....
Old 08-12-2015, 07:19 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

All is great, way better cranking and easy to start. Now I need to test a hot start today.
Cool! Btw, old cars engines are damaged just as easily as new ones by improper timing. Old engines do not have "knock sensors" to prevent pre-ignition. Timing lights are much cheaper than new pistons.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:23 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dmaclaren
If the issue is there, I am then going to get a timing light and check that out

Stay tuned.....
a timing lite wont do a thing for you.

if the floats too high, it will start hard when hot, its that simple.

if you live where it does not snow, you can plug the exhaust heat crossover in the intake.

you can also get a thin phenolic spacer for the carb.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HOT starting issues 351W