Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Front wheel stuck

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 12:06 AM
horseman54

Default Front wheel stuck

I picked up a 66 coupe last weekend that has a stuck front wheel. Shouldn't the wheel and brake drum come off by removing the spindle nut? One of the lugnuts is stripped so I can't remove the wheel by itself. What's the best way to remove it?
Old 10-21-2005, 02:55 AM
gta289
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Front wheel stuck

you can cut the lug off, and when it comes time get a new one pressed in. The reason the wheel is locked up is due to the wheel cylinder inside gets dried up and basically seizes the wheel because it expands. There are two bolts that unbolt from the backing plate, and the two pins inside can be loosened with wd40 and some elbo grease. Take all the springs off, and the shoes will come loose, than go ahead get new springs, shoes, wheel cylinder, and if you really want a good brake job, take the backing plate off from the spindle, and clean it up, using plenty of brake clean (use only that because its non-oil based and wont leave grease residue) and rpaint. There will be a foam type seal wear the four bolts to the backing plate go, its used for a seal for the spindel so water doesnt get in, Itll be rotted but go to a grocery store and you can get the same foam from the apple boxes they use to seperate the apples. cut out the seal from the old one using it as a template. While your at it , replace the bearings, and races(if needed) because when it come to brakes, you can never be too sure. I personally would get a new master cylinder, because if brake fluid sits to long it gets mucky and can clog up your lines. Bench bleed the new one, and make sure the lines are clear, and you got a rolling car that stops, although feet work too!!

by the way to get the drum off, try a plastic malet, it should come free
Old 10-21-2005, 02:13 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Nah, not a plastic mallet. Get a BFH and whop the crap out of it. It ain't gonna break the drum. Done it many times.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:35 PM
Silver Ponys
2nd Gear Member

Might try backing the shoes off with the adjusting wheel at the bottom of the backing plate. Sometimes the drum get a ridge wore in it that doesnt let the drum come off
Old 10-21-2005, 03:09 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Good point Pat. Which way does that sucker need to me turned? Down, or up. Lefty loosy or righty tighty?
Old 10-21-2005, 03:57 PM
Silver Ponys
2nd Gear Member

I think you push the screwdriver up which turns the wheel down I have a 50 -50 chance of being right here. Sometimes you need a smaller screwdriver to push the adjusting lever back off the wheel
Old 10-22-2005, 01:11 AM
73Cleveland
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Silver Ponys

I think you push the screwdriver up which turns the wheel down I have a 50 -50 chance of being right here. Sometimes you need a smaller screwdriver to push the adjusting lever back off the wheel
That sounds right. If you have a long ice pick, you can use that to push the adjuster lever back and use a screwdriver or a brake spoon to turn the wheel. The ice pick will give you more room to turn the adjuster in.

The brake spoons don't cost much and are offset on each end by a different amount. This makes it easier to do what you need to do.

If that isn't it, there is always the BFH like Soaring said!
Old 10-23-2005, 01:49 AM
horseman54

Well, I did get the wheel off finally. I had to torch the stripped lug nut. The brake drum removal was a bear. I had to use the BFH and a big screwdriver to pry between the backplate and drum. The problem turned out to be just rust buildup on the inside of the brake drum. I think it's salvagable with a good turning. The wheel cylinder was stuck so it will be replaced along with the brake line. Thanks for your advise and comments.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:13 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Glad you got her off. A man has to do what a man has to do. I have two BFH's in my shop.