Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Big Cam but no lope...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 11:42 AM
5.0pntydrpr

Yeah that sounds great! Great to see some kids interested in cars... There's hope for our hobby

I'm really not interested in changing cams at this point because this one is brand new, and I have about 30 miles or so on the engine. If I don't get the lope, then I guess I just don't get it... I'm going to drive it again this evening after work with the supercharger discharge pipe off and see if that makes a difference - I was already lean anyway.

I post back with results.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:34 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

that thing sounds like a funny car and you want more "lope".

you can tune it until all you want and it will not increase the lope.

if you want more "lope", simply unplug a couple spark plug wires.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:13 AM
5.0pntydrpr

Barnett, 3 things:

1. Thank you for replying
2. That isn't my car, those are just video clips of cars with the same cam I have that I found on Youtube.
3. I'm trying to understand the science behind this, and no one in their right mind would "unplug a couple of spark plug wires" so let's be a little more serious.

Now that that's out of the way, I started my car without the S/C discharge tube and my idle, just as I expected, was richer and I got a little more lope. What I'm gathering from this is that my bypass valve is inadequate at bleeding of the air coming from the supercharger and some of the air is being squeezed past the throttle blades, which leaves me with 1 option: bleed the air off faster.

Thoughts? Experience? Confirm or deny?
Old 08-26-2015, 12:07 PM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

Lope in the cam comes from the lobe separation, not the lift. Depending on the engine specs, more is not always better. I've run stock lift cams with huge lobe separation and got big lope at idle. This was for a restricted racing engine that needed the lobe separation at WOT. I've run other, more powerful engines that didn't have as much lope but made huge numbers for HP. Me personally, I'll take power over lope any day.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:40 PM
5.0pntydrpr

Roger that Dave. I couldn't agree more. I will not sacrifice a proper tune and power for cam lope ever.

That's one thing I must commend Comp Cams for; I have had excellent luck with their cams and they really make seamless consistent power.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:26 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5.0pntydrpr
Barnett, 3 things:

1. Thank you for replying
2. That isn't my car, those are just video clips of cars with the same cam I have that I found on Youtube.
3. I'm trying to understand the science behind this, and no one in their right mind would "unplug a couple of spark plug wires" so let's be a little more serious.

Now that that's out of the way, I started my car without the S/C discharge tube and my idle, just as I expected, was richer and I got a little more lope. What I'm gathering from this is that my bypass valve is inadequate at bleeding of the air coming from the supercharger and some of the air is being squeezed past the throttle blades, which leaves me with 1 option: bleed the air off faster.

Thoughts? Experience? Confirm or deny?
ok your bypass valve has no affect if your discharge tube is disconnected because the supercharger has been disconnected from the carburetor so i dont know quite know what your problem is.

you can make it lope more by making your idle extremely rich and retarding the ignition timing but why woud anyone want to do that?