Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

no more T5 for me

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 03:43 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Sorry MonsterBilly, slight side-track from your exploded T5...
Old 10-27-2015, 10:24 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

I'd go with a built AOD, plug and play. For the most part lol. They got a bad rap from there slug like shifts to the weak OD bands. But built right, they will handle your power level fine.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:30 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
I'd go with a built AOD, plug and play. For the most part lol. They got a bad rap from there slug like shifts to the weak OD bands. But built right, they will handle your power level fine.
nice car

are you referring to the cable operated aod's?
Old 10-27-2015, 11:22 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

I was thinking about using the hugs c4 I have and then bolting on a gear vendors over drive.
After taking to them I was sold, but then I started to look around. I do like shifting the t5.
For the same price as the OD I could get a tko500.
I'm stumped as to which way to go.
If I went with an aod, what shop could turn out the product? I don't know of Trans shop here in AZ that is worth a crap. In my exp. They are all crooks that won't stand behind the products they sell and install.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:20 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by barnett468
nice car

are you referring to the cable operated aod's?
Thanks, and yes, an AOD with the TV cable would be the most "plug and play" swap. I wouldn't go with the AODE, the less electronics, the better lol.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:23 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MonsterBilly
I was thinking about using the hugs c4 I have and then bolting on a gear vendors over drive.
After taking to them I was sold, but then I started to look around. I do like shifting the t5.
If I went with an aod, what shop could turn out the product? I don't know of Trans shop here in AZ that is worth a crap. In my exp. They are all crooks that won't stand behind the products they sell and install.
Tough choice, Auto or Manual..........

If your having second thoughts now, I'd stick with the manual. It's your brain telling you your not that old yet.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:10 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

I have almost the about the same HP/TQ output with you and a T5 as well. I have not had one issue with my tranny over 3 years of use and love it 10X more than the C4 that I had in the car.

My T5 is from promotion powertrain and is the 295SHD trans that's good for 440 - 500hp. They have great customer service and their prices are good. My only gripe with the transmission is that I opted for their road race version and the gears are almost not street friendly without out having rear gears 3.90+. With my combo, 5th gear only works well when doing 70+ mph. They also have robust T45 options as well.

When I build my wifes care, I will go with a more modern AOD transmission.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:57 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

i posted a link to where you can buy the trans already built . . as far as installation goes, cal kenny at 480-991-1191 in north scotchdale . . he may have an idea.

the tko 500 has crappy gear ratios . . i would get a tko 600 if i got a trans but they need the carbon fiber blocker rings installed on 2-3 and 3-4 gears and needs the shift rod mod if you plan to speed shift it.

astro makes a t5 for 485 tq and one with a special case for 575 tq.

https://www.astroperformance.com/pro...transmissions/

Last edited by barnett468; 10-30-2015 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:58 AM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

This is what I went with after my Gforce T5 broke its glass 3rd gear...
https://www.astroperformance.com/pro...r-kit-package/
Old 10-31-2015, 01:01 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

I have an AOD in my car. I've spent so much money on it in the last 10 years its a joke. I have a brand new Lentech that I bought/had built direct from them and has a warranty since I am having a shop install it over the winter. The only reason I haven't gone TKO is because I like the consistency in the car when I drag it that the auto gives me.....and still need an OD because I want to drive it places. If I stopped racing the car (65 mustang with a 410c that puts out 400 RWHP) I would mod the tunnel and slap a tko 6 speed in a heart beat. (

So....honestly I would not convert to an auto unless you want to race the car semi-regularly. There is no replacement for the fun the stick adds to the car driving on the street. The gear vendors stuff always looks nice, and I always think "maybe I should do that"....but then I can't bring myself to spend the coin when I start pricing out all the other options available.

Quick Reply: no more T5 for me