Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

need trouble shooting advice on starting asap

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 04:58 PM
project

Default need trouble shooting advice on starting asap

ok...here it is....

I went to start up the mustang for the first time in about 9 months, changed the oil and filter. checked other fluid levels. I made sure the car had everything that it needed to turn over. Primed the foot pedal,put the key in the ignition and it turned over. After feeling like I needed to prime it more or push the choke in. " trying not to flood it" I turned the key to the off position and the car continued to turn over. I got out of the car and quickly disconnected the power cable off the battery. I did some research and decided that the starter solenoid might be stuck. So after returning from the auto parts store I installed the new replacement starter solenoid. I went to crank it again and the engine turned over just fine like before. but just as I turned the key to the off position I noticed the car continued to turn over. even with my key out of the ignition it kept turning over. I disconnected the power and just kinda was like what the heck.....

I have ideas on where to go from here but I need advice on tracing the electrical problem.

please help with any similar problems you have had or direction on where to look next.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:00 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I'm puzzled as to why you would buy a replacement without checking it when you took it out? This circuit is very simple, you can use a $10 meter to chase it down. Do you still have the old one? The easiest test is to put a voltmeter on the solenoid to see that when you turn the key to on, the solenoid gets the 12V signal to tell it to close-and send 12V to the starter, and make sure this signal goes to zero when you turn the key to the off position.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:26 PM
project

yes I still have the old one. I was just out in the garage when my neighbor came by and we were talking mechanics of what the problem may be. He suggested replacing the solenoid. He has a 66 vert. So I figure id trust his judgment on it. After replacing it though ive found out the problem isn't the solenoid. Ive heard they get stuck sometimes..... anyways ill chalk it up for lesson learned.

I tried getting behind the back of the instrument panel to check the wires behind the ignition but the lack of space and visibility cut it short.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:56 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

[QUOTE]I tried getting behind the back of the instrument panel to check the wires behind the ignition but the lack of space and visibility cut it short.[QUOTE]
The easiest test is to put a voltmeter on the solenoid to see that when you turn the key to on, the solenoid gets the 12V signal to tell it to close-and send 12V to the starter, and make sure this signal goes to zero when you turn the key to the off position.
This will tell you which direction to trouble shoot.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:36 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Check whether you are getting voltage from the ignition switch to the relay after you turn the ignition off. If OK then check the relay to see if it is sticking closed... & so on!

In older cars never assume a replacement part is good. Old mechanics always kept a good used part on the shelf to check against the new/rebuilt part they just purchased from the parts store. New ignition switches for 50's/60's Chevy's are often junk made in China. I always preferred a good used ignition switch when restoring a old Chevy!

Good luck!

Last edited by Mr. D; 01-02-2016 at 04:44 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:25 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

If it isn't your solenoid then check to see if your starter is disengaging like it should. Sometimes the starter gear can hang up and not return to the normal position after cranking.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:53 PM
kdgoff

The wire to activate the starter on the solenoid is connected to the wrong wire on the ignition switch. One is on in either start or run and there is another one which is only on when the key is in the start position. Check a wiring diagram to see which one. I don't remember off hand.