Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Ford 84 Mustang makes buzzing sound & clicks when trying to crank

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 02:05 AM
TuckJr67

Default Ford 84 Mustang makes buzzing sound & clicks when trying to crank

Hello good people,

I recently tried starting my 84 mustang LX & all I hear is a buzzing noise when I turn the car on (which eventually goes away) & then when I try to crank it a *click* sound is made. My head and taillights work while my signal lights, windshield wipers, & all other electrical components work as well. What could be the problem?

P.S. My ignition Cynlinder is completely destroyed so I'm cranking it with a screwdriver by shifting the grooves of the ignition. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:30 AM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

hey, not sure how to do it, but you should move this post over to the fox body group. They'll have more members to help. this group is 64-71 mustangs.

that said, the buzzing is your fuel pump. the click is your starter solenoid. it may have enough juice to power other items, but not enough to turn over the starter. Or the starter is bad, or there is a short in the starting system. I'd try a fresh battery first. If that works but in a few days you are back to the same issue, then your battery is not getting charged. Check the alternator. After that check voltage at the starter, get the starter checked.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:21 PM
TuckJr67

Default Reply:

Originally Posted by racer_dave
hey, not sure how to do it, but you should move this post over to the fox body group. They'll have more members to help. this group is 64-71 mustangs.

that said, the buzzing is your fuel pump. the click is your starter solenoid. it may have enough juice to power other items, but not enough to turn over the starter. Or the starter is bad, or there is a short in the starting system. I'd try a fresh battery first. If that works but in a few days you are back to the same issue, then your battery is not getting charged. Check the alternator. After that check voltage at the starter, get the starter checked.
Thanks a lot racer_dave! Appreciate the reply! Have a good day!