Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

New member with a very rare 69 mustang

Old 04-18-2016, 01:45 PM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

Did you say it was originally a different color? was the yellow a repaint?
Old 04-19-2016, 05:30 AM
mrblanche

Originally Posted by barnett468
Cool novelty car but unfortunately not worth any more than a regular one but still cool to have.
Well, maybe. Not to you. Not to me. But to a collector, you never know.

I once owned a car almost no one knew about...a 1984 Pontiac Firebird with the Iron Duke 4 cylinder engine and 5-speed manual transmission. They made about 10,000 of the Camaros and Firebirds with that engine from 1982 to 1985, but you're very unlikely to ever see one. I bought it new, and I'd love to have it back. I still have the Pontiac book on modifying the engine. Valuable? Probably not. Some collector might pay a pretty penny for an excellent example, just to have it in his collection.

But any car with a history can turn out to have some huge draw for someone.

Last edited by mrblanche; 04-19-2016 at 05:36 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:16 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

My wife had an Oldsmobile Brougham with an Iron Duke in it and as far as I'm concerned, that has to be the best 4cyl ever made. That thing was a bullet proof beast that thrived on neglect and abuse.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:02 AM
ruger

Originally Posted by racer_dave
Did you say it was originally a different color? was the yellow a repaint?
Yes, original color is Silver Jade.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:08 AM
ruger

Originally Posted by mrblanche
Well, maybe. Not to you. Not to me. But to a collector, you never know.

I once owned a car almost no one knew about...a 1984 Pontiac Firebird with the Iron Duke 4 cylinder engine and 5-speed manual transmission. They made about 10,000 of the Camaros and Firebirds with that engine from 1982 to 1985, but you're very unlikely to ever see one. I bought it new, and I'd love to have it back. I still have the Pontiac book on modifying the engine. Valuable? Probably not. Some collector might pay a pretty penny for an excellent example, just to have it in his collection.

But any car with a history can turn out to have some huge draw for someone.
Your right. I don't know the full history of this particular car but I do know the reason that Ford built it. To homologate this series because of they're entry of the sportsroof into the Mobilgas Economy Run. They had to build so many to call it a stock car. 96 were built according to Marti Auto. Like I said, I have found no one online to come forward with another. Mustang Monthly believes them to be extinct. So, I am sure there are plenty of collectors interested once I start showing it. As I have said, I turned down a very nice offer already and it's not on the road yet. So in some cases cars that are not horse power cars are worth some money. Even though they don't appeal to everyone.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:57 PM
mrblanche

Originally Posted by fastbackford351
My wife had an Oldsmobile Brougham with an Iron Duke in it and as far as I'm concerned, that has to be the best 4cyl ever made. That thing was a bullet proof beast that thrived on neglect and abuse.
Along about 1982, Popular Mechanics called the Camaro/Firebird with the Iron Duke "the easiest car to service." I could change the oil without getting under it. That's what happens when you put that little engine in a space designed for a big block. Yes, it was bulletproof. But it was crude and underpowered. It came with 94 hp. You could change the intake, exhaust, and throttle body and come up with 125...exactly what the V6 had. And with the right parts, you could get it up to 600 hp, but you probably wouldn't want to drive it on the street.

The problem the Mustang discussed above had was, of course, that the 6-cylinder was longer than the V8. Good thing it had a long hood!
Old 04-20-2016, 10:51 AM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ruger
As I have said, I turned down a very nice offer already and it's not on the road yet. So in some cases cars that are not horse power cars are worth some money. Even though they don't appeal to everyone.
The very nice offer may simply be because it is a fastback . If it has a nice orig body and average paint and interior and runs well, I would probably pay 12k to 14k for it, so if its in that condition and your nice offer was less than that, it wasn't all that nice.

Building that car with the expectation of selling it for a big amount of money would be a huge mistake . I am also a collector and vintage Mustang car dealer and restorer and also know many big collectors, and none of us would pay any more for that than a normal 6 cylinder . Whatever you do to it should be done solely because you like the car and not to try and make money on it, because restoring cars for a profit is typically a losing proposition . Especially restoring a common one.

Last edited by barnett468; 04-20-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:19 AM
ruger

As I have stated in the opening post. I am not asking for value. Simply other pictures of the E' series.
I really do understand where your coming from on value. However, I have never bought a car just to build and turn around and sell for profit. I think it's the same as racing for a living. It takes a large fortune to make a small fortune. I've been in the automotive industry for a long time. I know the values of vintage Mustangs also. All one has to do is look around on the internet to see what prices are. I understand they change also. By the way, the 12k - 14k value you put on it was way under. As I said earlier. There are others out there willing to pay more than others. Actually, before I bought this car I would have agreed with you. But since I put the info online about this car my opinion has changed.
This is just conversation. Not being arguementive with you. Just disagreeing.

Last edited by ruger; 04-20-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:29 AM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Well, I'm a dealer so my value is based on reselling it, and values can vary a little depending on the region, but based on prices in the Western US, retail on it would not be much more than 12 k to 14 k if it is in the condition I described . If it was a 351 4v Windsor car, it would be worth around 20 k retail in the same condition . There are obviously people asking more but they are unrealistic and their cars haven't sold . Also, 99% of the time, a seller thinks his car is worth more than the buyer . A guy on the site recently bought a fully loaded 69 351 Windsor for $16 k.

Anyway, one of the few places you might find info on it is at concoursmustang.com . You can also get the decals replicated if you have decent photos of them.

You can also email Ford and they will send you the vehicle info on their letterhead if they have it . Some people think this will increase the value of their car but it really doesn't, but at the very least it is cool thing to have.

You can also ask Marti if he has an Eminger report for it . If so, I would definitely get one of those and frame all that stuff so it can be displayed with the car.

Last edited by barnett468; 04-21-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:45 PM
ruger

Thank's I have purchased the Eminger report from Marti. Also, I do have the decal design from a graphic designer. I understand the values on the cars like you have mentioned but occasionally one sneaks into the scene and is a different animal. I am not worried about the sale price. I wanna show the car first then see what happens. I have a standing offer already that I would be happy with but no hurry to sell.