Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

got the NEW GTA!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 10:48 PM
gta289
3rd Gear Member

Default got the NEW GTA!!

hey gang!!
just got back from picking up the newest addition to the family. Got back about two hours ago. This is one nice *** car. I had the oppertunity to really get a look at the overall condition of it and so far so good. The frame rails are perfect, as is the floor pans, a little dented but easily repairable. The interior needs some work; headliner, carpet, seats upholstered, gaugues. It does have a center console, with the courtesy lights installed, ( the ones for seat belt warning light, low oil, etc.) Has a locking glove box, clock, remote mirror, deluxe shifter handle, no deluxe seatbelts..... cant have it all! The thing even has a tilt away steering wheel i didnt notice yesterday. The engine looks good, a little greasy but good. Has power steering, although not hooked up, power brakes. I thing the tranny is fresh, it looks pretty good underneath. The rear end as i said is only 279.1 but thats fine, those will go soon!! Only visable damage is the driver 1/4 panel, dents on the roof, and a little bondo in some areas, but very nice. Did decode the door, and its not an original Silver Frost car, its a factory Britany Blue, which is uncommon for that year. I did the research on it and to my knowledge its real. I sent already for a Marty report to clarify, but im 99.99% sure its real. He did give me a bunch of parts, including a new pair of scott drake fog lights, with the bars, even though it had originals already, he was going to switch them out. More on the steed later, i mworking on getting her started, so ill let you know!!!
Old 10-24-2005, 12:04 AM
mustangGTdude1031
4th Gear Member

Default RE: got the NEW GTA!!

ORIGINAL: gta289

hey gang!!
just got back from picking up the newest addition to the family. Got back about two hours ago. This is one nice *** car. I had the oppertunity to really get a look at the overall condition of it and so far so good. The frame rails are perfect, as is the floor pans, a little dented but easily repairable. The interior needs some work; headliner, carpet, seats upholstered, gaugues. It does have a center console, with the courtesy lights installed, ( the ones for seat belt warning light, low oil, etc.) Has a locking glove box, clock, remote mirror, deluxe shifter handle, no deluxe seatbelts..... cant have it all! The thing even has a tilt away steering wheel i didnt notice yesterday. The engine looks good, a little greasy but good. Has power steering, although not hooked up, power brakes. I thing the tranny is fresh, it looks pretty good underneath. The rear end as i said is only 279.1 but thats fine, those will go soon!! Only visable damage is the driver 1/4 panel, dents on the roof, and a little bondo in some areas, but very nice. Did decode the door, and its not an original Silver Frost car, its a factory Britany Blue, which is uncommon for that year. I did the research on it and to my knowledge its real. I sent already for a Marty report to clarify, but im 99.99% sure its real. He did give me a bunch of parts, including a new pair of scott drake fog lights, with the bars, even though it had originals already, he was going to switch them out. More on the steed later, i mworking on getting her started, so ill let you know!!!
thats awesome man. Good luck and have fun with it man!!! post some pics when you get it home. I would love to see some.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:04 AM
skiprCH
2nd Gear Member

congrats gta!!!
Walt
Old 10-24-2005, 03:47 AM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

So, are you now single? Please tell us how this purchase transpired. Did she come around?
Old 10-24-2005, 08:08 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: valley firearms

So, are you now single? Please tell us how this purchase transpired. Did she come around?
You must have missed the end of his other thread. He took her out and sweet talked her into letting him buy it. Except for some fine tuning on the body and interior, it sounds like a solid car. Now, when you get the engine running, and are able to drive it, will be the telling moment.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:55 AM
gta289
3rd Gear Member

got the car running last night.... had to swap out the dual point that was in there, cause that old dizzy was done. Drained the tank, and it looked pretty clean to me, rebuilt the carb, changed the plugs, oil, all that good stuff. I did feel like an idiot when it wouldnt start right up, but than relized, oh hey the batteries probably dead, and it was! Well after i put a new one in, it still didnt start, it turned over, but didnt start. I was thinking"oh great, here we go" but thought no way somethings not put on right. Well about 10 beers later, i figured out the culprit: the rotor for the dizzy!!! well after i put it on, she fired right up. Nice exhaust with holes in it, makes you kinda go light headed no? The car had no brakes so i changed the fluid, bled them and said, hell, lets give a goo around the block!!! man this car drives pretty nice for sitting forever!! It does in fact have a newely built c4 in her, and shifts decently, it needs a filter change though, but other than that, not to bad. I think he put different gears in it (3.73's) cause when you get on it, it puts that nice vinal up you a@#!! I think the only thing its mssing is the origianl air cleaner (which i has a spare of thank god) and the gta emblems on the fender, but the gas cap is there, its an original twist off for early gt's but is there. That threw me off though because my restored gta has a original c7 pop open cap, but is earlier than this new one???? i scrounged through the heap of crap in the trunk and did find a right side tail light grill, warped to hell but nice little find. Found a 66 gas cap, in pretty good shape, and i swear about 300 fuses all over the place... I got the trunk and interior all cleaned out and looking good, so i guess the really hard part starts!!!!!
Old 10-24-2005, 11:59 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

WTG Joe. You did all that in one night? Man, that would have taken me a week.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:17 PM
gta289
3rd Gear Member

yeah glen to tell you the truth, i was late to work this morning, i had at least 3 airplanes calling me for deice, and ohh no joe was no where to be found but passed out! no it relly didnt take long to rebuild the carb, luckely it has the same autolite 4v my car does, and i leave rubuild kits around for a purpose, and wal mart works wonders for a free battery, taking that one back tonight..... the distributor came from my dad, he helped me get the car home last night. And luckely for me there was still a lot of pad left on the brakes so that came in handy. I must say though it is a good canadite for a restore though, i mean its all there, minus little easy to find things but i find out today if im gonna be a father, and i am more excited than anything so ill let all of you know
Old 10-24-2005, 01:33 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Regarding the gas. If that car sat for a year or more, the gas will look OK, but will give you trouble down the road. You will start to get hesitation problems that you will be scratching your head trying to figure out why. If I were you, I would drain all that old gas out now before you run it too far, and replace with new gas.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:46 PM
gta289
3rd Gear Member

no no no i did i did what i meant was the tank looked good, as in the condition, i know about that gas sitting for more than a year, itll turn to turpentine . i changed it when i drained the old crap. Thanks glen, on top of it, now did you really think i would go and do something that stupid? lol

Quick Reply: got the NEW GTA!!