Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Power Steering addition

Old 05-05-2016, 05:10 PM
humpbackshooter
1st Gear Member

Default Power Steering addition

Want to add P/S to my "67". Its a I6-200 with factory A/C. Is Cj pony the place to go for my installation kit? Also....looking at their kits....how do I know which shaft is in my steering sector? One of the highlighted extras at the bottom of the page says it only fits a 1 1/8 shaft.

Thanks,
Hump
Old 05-05-2016, 05:15 PM
humpbackshooter
1st Gear Member

Also......what is the "Z-bar clutch linkage? I'm thinking......"clutch".....straight shift...Manual trans.......O.K. Mind is a auto.

Hump.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:15 AM
sailfish11
2nd Gear Member

Not sure if you're trying to stay stock. If not, consider one of these: http://www.cjponyparts.com/electric-...-1967/p/PSKE2/ I put EPS in my '65 and it works great.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:41 AM
humpbackshooter
1st Gear Member

Thanks Sailfish.....I saw that when I was looking at Cj Pony's site. Its not that much more than the other kit. As far as staying original.....that's what I would prefer. Trying to keep it that way as much as possible.

Thanks,
hump
Old 05-08-2016, 06:43 PM
norcal_ryan1966
1st Gear Member

I used to have power steering on my mustang, but the control valve (believe that's what it was called) kept leaking like a stuck pig. I rebuilt it twice, and a shop rebuilt it once. After it leaked a third time, I yanked everything and went to manual steering. A lot more work when in parking lots, but being 260 lbs I can manage.

Originally Posted by humpbackshooter
Thanks Sailfish.....I saw that when I was looking at Cj Pony's site. Its not that much more than the other kit. As far as staying original.....that's what I would prefer. Trying to keep it that way as much as possible.

Thanks,
hump
Old 05-08-2016, 06:44 PM
norcal_ryan1966
1st Gear Member

Went off on a slight tangent. My point was, if go aftermarket if I was going to upgrade.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:56 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

i upgraded my factory ps to the borgenson unit. if i had it to do over again i would go electric
Old 05-11-2016, 05:01 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MonsterBilly
i upgraded my factory ps to the borgenson unit. if i had it to do over again i would go electric
Monster, you not happy with your borgeson???
Old 05-12-2016, 08:47 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

i like it but im not crazy about it. I had a tough time getting it to handle right. It still grabs the road if there is a ridge or a hump in the middle.

also, the lines that come with it are so short, there is literally no option for running the lines. they have to be pulled really tight to make it, and, they also have zero clearance on the back of the pump. i even went with a saginaw style pump which allows a little more room.

electric just seems like such a better way to go. Although i dont know anyone who has it in a classic
Old 05-12-2016, 08:55 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

but then again, i put the MSD Atomic EFI on my car and i HATE it. i am switching back to a carb and putting the efi on my 75 bronco.

my 331 is built too much for the efi to run smooth. I have a pretty agressive cam and the efi does not like it.

In my bronco, i have the original 289 block and heads from my 66 mustang. the heads have been worked over with screw in studs and roller rockers but that about it. it just has a small comp cams 268 so it should run great with the efi

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Steering addition