Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

What is the best carpet to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 02:05 AM
JeffHWV

Default What is the best carpet to buy?

I did a full restoration on my 65 coupe about 20 years ago and purchased A new black rug from Auto Custom Carpets. After a coupe of years I was forced to store the car outside for a year or two and my new carpet turned purple anywhere the sun could possibly shine on the rug, even if only for a couple of hours a day. The car has been inside since where it sees very little light and now the purple parts of the carpet are tan. You can even see the outline of the rear seat floor mats with the seats all the way back. I was not too happy that I threw away a nice rich black 30 year old factory rug with one fixable rip in it and now have this piece of crap. I called this company and told them about this and the lady I talked to basically told me very politely to rub salt. The rug was less than 5 years old at the time. It was obvious that she had heard this story before. I can't imagine what it would have looked like after a year or two in Arizona.

I am finally getting around to replacing the rug and would like to avoid this company as I have been already been taken by them once. Twice actually as they sell on eBay under another name and I ended up unwittingly buying a rug for my F250 and it turned out to be junk also. Looking around the internet though, doesn't turn up a lot of alternatives. Even when you think you find another company, if you dig a little deeper it ends up being their product. I would appreciate any advice on a source of quality carpet and also which fabric blend to go with. Thanks
Old 08-09-2016, 02:48 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

I had a side business selling carpeting for 25 years. (Now I'm talking generally about residential/ business type carpet yarns) If wear is critical, nylon wears the best, but in a car & in many applications dirt & staining is likely more critical than wear, so I would use a good quality polyester carpet. A looped carpet, or a very short, thick "un-twisted" cut pile carpet will do well, but don't buy a polyester type carpet in a medium to long cut pile with a twist in it! The twist won't hold & will wind up looking like like a wet collie. If you had kept the old carpet as a pattern, you might have found a good upholstery shop that could make you a carpet kit with a better quality material. Much of Classic Car restoration stuff is made in China at very low quality. I've done quite a bit of 50's Chevy & Corvette Restoration & believe me a lot of repo stuff is junk! I used to clean & rebuild Chevy ignition switches to avoid the problems with the repo junk being sold. See if you can find a good quality restoration/upholstery shop that can help you.

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Last edited by Mr. D; 08-09-2016 at 02:50 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:18 PM
JeffHWV

Thanks for the reply. I am with you, I've taken several ignition switches, turn signal switches and solenoids apart and cleaned the contacts to avoid having to go with poor quality aftermarket junk. Same with starters and alternators. Money is secondary to having quality bearings and brushes in them. If I had known I would have this problem with the rug, I would have used seaming tape or hand sewn up the rip in my factory rug. One reason I didn't is I didn't want to have to deal with the 64 1/2 rocker panel vinyls on my October 64 car. Live and learn.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:48 AM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

I saw a thread about carpets last year, I think on StangNet?? anyway- what it comes down to is that there are only 2-3 companies making the carpets for mustangs and then all the different parts houses use one of the three. One is really good, one is garbage and one is mid grade. If I can find the link I'll post it. Try asking NPD, or some of the other vendors what they use. They won't normally stock stuff that gets returned a lot.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:01 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

probably something from TMI
Old 08-12-2016, 03:38 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

I bought and installed the close loop factory style with the rubber backing for the fastback last year from CJ's. It looks and feels almost exactly like the original and if it holds up half as long, I'll be clicking my heels.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:21 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

ACC is the best carpet available and is what everyone sells and it is crap but you are stuck with it.