Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Aftermarket gauges other than Autometer

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 08:00 PM
Silverblade
2nd Gear Member

Default Aftermarket gauges other than Autometer

So I pulled the trigger on a full set of Autometer Sport Comp 5" and 2-5/8" gauges for my 67. The problem is that these gauges, and the majority of Autometer gauges are poorly lighten up from a perimeter bulb. For the amount of money they charge for gauges I would have thought they would be backlit. They have a sport comp 2 that is backlit but for some asinine reason they don't have a 5" mechanical speedo nor a 5" 0-8000 tach. I don't want to convert to a digital speedo. The fact that they have some gauges in some models and not in others is enough to make me not want to support them or their hack products any longer. So with that rant over, I am wondering if anyone has used any other aftermarket gauges that are ideally the same price or less as Autometer. I don't want digital gauges and everything else I found is quite a bit more expensive than Autometer. So I am curious what everyone else is using.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:06 PM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

Stewart Warner makes good gauges. So does Longacre- but they are mostly racing specific so they might not have enough variety or sizes.

not sure on any others.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:49 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

I knoa you said you dont want digital, but take a looknat the dakota digital vhx gauges. I just picked upba set and love them. Ver accurate, easy to install. Switching tonannelectric speedonis very easy too. There is a sending unit that plugs intonthe trans where the cable goes then a wire harness plugs intonit. Also, the speedonis adjustabke sonit can be set perfectly accurate.

I can post a pic of mine if you wish, i just recently unstalled them
Old 11-03-2016, 08:26 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

I've had both Autometer and Stewart Warner and I prefer the Stewart Warner gauges. I've never had much of a problem with either but I like the look of the SW gauges better. Personal preference I suppose.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:34 PM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

I have no idea if they make what you are looking for, but I like VDO gauges. I didn't know it was that easy to go to an electric speedometer. Will be on lookout for a toploader harness one...
Old 11-03-2016, 09:56 PM
Silverblade
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MonsterBilly
I knoa you said you dont want digital, but take a looknat the dakota digital vhx gauges. I just picked upba set and love them. Ver accurate, easy to install. Switching tonannelectric speedonis very easy too. There is a sending unit that plugs intonthe trans where the cable goes then a wire harness plugs intonit. Also, the speedonis adjustabke sonit can be set perfectly accurate.

I can post a pic of mine if you wish, i just recently unstalled them
A pic would be awesome if you don't mind. Did it come with the speed sensor included in the kit/price?

I checked out VDO and Stewart Warner and it appears VDO doesn't have any 5" and SW only has 1. This would be a lot easier with a 66 dash. I really like the sport comp 2 but would much prefer a 0-8 tach over a 0-10 tach. Sometimes I am just too picky for my own good (or wallet).
Old 11-03-2016, 10:35 PM
Silverblade
2nd Gear Member

I added up the cost of the sport comp 2 on summit and it came out more than the Dakota Digital VHX. Sigh. The white backlighting is what I ultimately want. I think the sport comp 2 is a bit nicer but Dakota allows me to go metric too which is nice (I'm in Canada). I think I may end up going this way. How easy does it plug into the stock harness? The picture they show uses some funky looking wires. I have a brand new painless harness in the car but I haven't installed the gauge wires yet because I haven't decided on gauges yet. If you don't mind posting your install pictures it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys
Old 11-03-2016, 10:54 PM
Silverblade
2nd Gear Member

Triple post. Found a video on YouTube I didn't realize there was a brain unit included with the VHX. Plus saving the $99 speed sensor. I think I will end up going with the black face white LED option. Going to sleep on it. Thanks for the opinions guys
Old 11-04-2016, 09:47 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Default gauges

If you put in a new painless harness the VDX gauges will be a little bit of a frustration.
I installed them along with an Atomic efi. I ended up cutting out and throwing away a significant amount of the painless harness. The vdx and Atomic come with a lot of their own stuff. I was a little pissed. I could have just used $150.00 GENERIC HARNESS AND HAD AN EASIER TIME.

However now that it is done i really like them. I also like the fact that you can dial in the speedo so its perfect.

Old 11-05-2016, 12:58 AM
Jbomb
1st Gear Member

That instrument cluster looks sweet MonsterBilly! That wiring though looks like something from my nightmares.

I havent got them but next on my list in "Classic Instruments 6-Gauge Set Auto Cross Series" http://www.cjponyparts.com/classic-i...966/p/CIACK-V/
Also with a youtube video