Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1967 Mustang transmission options

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 08:50 PM
PotteryPal
1st Gear Member

Arrow 1967 Mustang transmission options

Fellow Members,

I am trying to get a clear picture what transmission options are possible with a 1967 Mustang 289ci motor. I currently have the 3 speed auto and see a lot of discussion about the T5 manual. Any other options for auto or manual? Which would be the easiest for future replacement of the 3 Speed auto?
Old 02-07-2017, 11:14 PM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

Toploader.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:15 PM
PotteryPal
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by barstowpo
Toploader.

Is this also a 3 speed or is it a four speed?
Old 02-07-2017, 11:41 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Toploader is Ford's 4sp manual. They're extremely durable, but probably not what I'd recommend for you.

Late model Ford AOD transmissions are fairly common swaps and will get you an overdrive gear with minimal fuss.

If you really want to go to a manual, T5s are the common choice. They're easy to find, strong enough for most 289 builds, and provide an overdrive 5th for freeway driving. However, I've heard manual swaps can be a PITA when dealing with under-dash equipment.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:00 PM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

A 67 is not a difficult auto to manual swap. All the factory parts are available in reproduction form. I say toploader because it replicates the factory setup and are pretty indestructible. A T5 is good but then you travel down the restomod path. There are many weak T5's out there too. I have 2 that were behind 4 cylinder engines that would likely not last behind a 289. If you go the modern route, you can also go with a hydraulic clutch. Depends what you want the end project to look like.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:33 AM
PotteryPal
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by barstowpo
A 67 is not a difficult auto to manual swap. All the factory parts are available in reproduction form. I say toploader because it replicates the factory setup and are pretty indestructible. A T5 is good but then you travel down the restomod path. There are many weak T5's out there too. I have 2 that were behind 4 cylinder engines that would likely not last behind a 289. If you go the modern route, you can also go with a hydraulic clutch. Depends what you want the end project to look like.
Thanks for your input. Considering I plan some top end work to squeeze mpre power (target 350-400hp) range which auto or manual option is able to handle this with ease. This will be more of a cruiser, show car. No exreme activites planned.

Can you recommend a good reputable source for the top loader?

Thanks
Old 02-09-2017, 09:35 AM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

Ebay or David Kee Transmissions. David Kee is the toploader expert and can supply new and rebuilt units as well as any part you can imagine. He also manufactures parts no longer available.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:09 PM
SteveL
1st Gear Member

It depends on what you want. If I am building an actual "show" car I would want to keep it factory stock. If I am building a cruiser to have fun on a Saturday night and hit a few curbside car shows I would swap to a manual, just for the fun of driving. The toploader is a good option for some fun cruising.
What I did for my 1970 Mustang drag car, I went with a Ford C4 automatic, reverse manual valve body with trans brake, aftermarket planetary set and a 3200 stall converter. Basically turned the automatic into a manual, without the clutch. Launching from the light was more consistent. There was no clutch slippage, no loss of time off the line because of heat on the clutch. Rev it up and hit the button. The reverse pattern was great for a ratchet shifter, you didn't have to shift through all the gears to get to 1st to start.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:21 AM
PotteryPal
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteveL
It depends on what you want. If I am building an actual "show" car I would want to keep it factory stock. If I am building a cruiser to have fun on a Saturday night and hit a few curbside car shows I would swap to a manual, just for the fun of driving. The toploader is a good option for some fun cruising.
What I did for my 1970 Mustang drag car, I went with a Ford C4 automatic, reverse manual valve body with trans brake, aftermarket planetary set and a 3200 stall converter. Basically turned the automatic into a manual, without the clutch. Launching from the light was more consistent. There was no clutch slippage, no loss of time off the line because of heat on the clutch. Rev it up and hit the button. The reverse pattern was great for a ratchet shifter, you didn't have to shift through all the gears to get to 1st to start.
Thanks for sharing.