Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

289 to 351W swap - p/s & w/p brackets?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 12:52 PM
MillerJamesB

Default 289 to 351W swap - p/s & w/p brackets?

I have swapped out my 66 Mustang 289 for a 69 351W. I had no serious issues until the engine starting over heating as soon as summer came. I am now installing a 1970 water pump, six bladed fan and a 3 row radiator. Both the water pump inlet and radiator outlet are for the drivers side of the car. The only issue I have now is that the adjusting and mounting brackets from the w/p and p/s don't fit. I purchased a set of the brackets online from a 1970 351W and they don't fit either. Assuming I wasn't ripped off, can anyone help me determine the correct parts and part numbers?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:54 PM
SteveL
1st Gear Member

I did a similar swap many years ago. What I ended up doing was hitting the junk yard until I found what I needed. I had to fabricate some of it on my own too.
One thing to think of, my overheating issue was not water pump or radiator size, it was air flow. The older car did not have a fan shroud. It was a smaller radiator, but with no shroud. I found a shroud that fit, problem solved. Without it the fan pulled air from around the radiator instead of through the radiator.
Last summer I worked on an old ****** jeep that had been changed over to a Ford 302. It had the same problem. The owner took it to several shops. One tore the engine down and had it boiled out, I don't know what the other shop did. Added a shroud, problem solved.
For what your trying to find with the brackets, find a you pull it junk yard that has older cars. Look for a 1970 car with the engine your pump would have come off of. That might get you close to what you need.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:08 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

+1 on hitting the bone yard. You're going to need to find a matched set of brackets and pulleys. 69 351W pulley's and brackets are different animals from the 70 and up 351w setups. If your trying to mix & match different era components you're in for quite a dick dance.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:56 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

I can take some pictures of my 69 351 engine brackets for PS and Alt if you would like. I also have a 67 with a 289 and they are definitely different. Sometimes you can use the same brackets, you just have to get the spacing right for the pulleys to line up. A washer here or there could help out.