Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Had a chance to get DT out on the track over the weekend

Old 11-15-2005, 01:07 AM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Default Had a chance to get DT out on the track over the weekend

Times:

Couple Pics:

It was nice to finally have it all together and not break mere hours before I was supposed to go like all the other times I tried.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:00 AM
73Cleveland
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Had a chance to get DT out on the track over the weekend

That looks like some pretty good times!

I checked out your home page and am interested in how the project of installing your stroker kit went.

I'm thinking about picking up a clev 4v block & heads and going with the same kit you did. Any words of wisdom you would care to share with a fellow clevelander?

Do you have any times from before you put in the kit?

Great looking car!
Old 11-15-2005, 05:43 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Looks like the warmer it got, the better your times. Or, the more practice you got, the better the times. At any rate, those are impressive Nick.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:17 AM
gta289
3rd Gear Member

very impressive times budy
Old 11-15-2005, 09:33 AM
lClutchl
3rd Gear Member

Wicked!

That car looks totaly Bad *** in those shots... make sure you add those to your photo album.

What happened on those first few runs? 16 to 12's is a big difference!
Old 11-15-2005, 01:09 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lClutchl

Wicked!

That car looks totaly Bad *** in those shots... make sure you add those to your photo album.

What happened on those first few runs? 16 to 12's is a big difference!
First time ever on the track for me...and the car.

First three runs....feeling it out.
Next three runs....burned out and heated up the Drag Radials properly
Next two runs....fixed my shifter linkage so I could shift the AOD manually and not run the strip with only 1st and 3rd like it had the first 6 times.

Definitely had a little learning curve....although last run of the day I beat a lightning who ran an 11.7 ....I won by .059....he was sleeping at the light for sure.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:10 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

Looks like the warmer it got, the better your times. Or, the more practice you got, the better the times. At any rate, those are impressive Nick.
Practice I suppose....the car was basically point and shoot...left at idle speed off the line.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:15 PM
jrrhd73must
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 73Cleveland

I'm thinking about picking up a clev 4v block & heads and going with the same kit you did. Any words of wisdom you would care to share with a fellow clevelander?
It is my understanding that you are not gaining much with the 4V block. The only difference is that it has four bolt mains, but the four bolts are smaller than the 2bolt mains you have now. I went with 1970 351C closed port heads (these were really hard to find) then bored and stroked it. I am running the Edelbrock Perfromer Manifold and Carb. Instead of looking for a year and a half for the heads, I would probably put Edlebrock heads on it next time. There is a soft cover book 351C, that I followed to build what they call a homade BOSS.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:16 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 73Cleveland

That looks like some pretty good times!

I checked out your home page and am interested in how the project of installing your stroker kit went.

Do you have any times from before you put in the kit?

Great looking car!
First time on the track, so this is the baseline.
Words of Wisdom....don't buy your kit from Speedomotive....when they screw it up you are still liable for the parts.
Any kit you use, make sure you measure the compression during the install to make sure the parts are made to the correct specs...with mine...Speedo faxed the wrong head CC specs to Ross (confirmed by calling Ross direct) and my pistons were made for an open chamber head....even though I had a close chamber head at the time and gave Speedo the correct CC info. Basically the first build tore itself apart.

Hardest part of building of a stroker is selecting a cam. My first build I used an off-the shelf grind that everyone said would get me 400 RWHP....ended up with 330. Second time around I called up Ed Curtis and had him custom spec a cam for me....told him I wanted 400 RWHP and all the details on the full drivetrain....when dyno tuned the car put down 396 RWHP....with a simple nothing special hydro flat tappet that is under .6 lift.

When I drive the speedlimit I can get 17-18 MPG out of the car with the AOD and a 4.11 rear. When I drive like normal I get 10.

I'm running 4v open heads, ported exhaust, polished up the chambers and a 3 angle job.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:19 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

There is no hard and fast rule that 4v blocks had 4 bolts and visa-versa.

All 351c blocks are the same...2 bolt and 4 bolt...exact same block...only difference is the caps and that it was drilled. My first block had 4 bolt caps and I picked up a repalcement that was 2 bolt....paid the machine shop to drill, tap, and align hone and bolted up the old 4 bolt caps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Had a chance to get DT out on the track over the weekend