Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Suspension, Springs, Mustang's Plus

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 09:42 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Suspension, Springs, Mustang's Plus

you dont need to buy specific suspension kit for that right? its just two new bolt holes on each side?
Old 02-24-2006, 10:11 PM
pwhit
1st Gear Member

I think I would prefer to go with a new front suspension kit instead of doing the shelby drop. Reason being is that the original suspension is 40+ now and the technology/parts available (i.e. lower springs, new arms, etc.) are not necessilary better quality buy have better technology behind them, therefore I believe that it would handle better than using orig. factory pieces.

Just my opinion though.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:59 PM
19stang66
4th Gear Member

Oh I know, I mean to say that you should get the new kit AND do the drop, and yes all you need to do is drill the new holes VERY CAREFULLY, "measure twice, drill once" as the old saying goes If you have any questions about the drop just ask, I know a guy that will mail you a paper template of the new holes and a sheet with the new alignment specs that should be used.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:42 PM
pwhit
1st Gear Member

Now if I was to get new front coils that would drop the front end 1" and then do the shelby drop which would put it 2" below stock. I would think that might be to low. I'm looking more towards smaller tires in front and larger in the rear to give it that front to back stance that looks mean.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:16 AM
muggsy
2nd Gear Member

I prefer only one inch drop myself, but don't forget, the 2 inch drop is from the ORIGINAL car front end height. Most cars have sagged, so if you are thinking its two inches lower than your current height, its not. Probably closer to your current height than you think. I know that some original height Mustangs (67 and 68) actually look a bit awkwardly high in the front. They look like they point straight up.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:39 AM
pwhit
1st Gear Member

Your right, I was not talking about the current height I was more or less saying that I believe the 2" of drop is too much. But that is my opinion. I prefer just a 1" coil drop w/ a new front susp. then that way you know your setup good for a long while.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:37 AM
RSRXION
2nd Gear Member

I used the 1 inch drop kit from Mustangs Plus. I agree that these old beasts sit a little too high for my liking and the 1 inch deal was about perfect for my tastes. Incidentally, the ride is still firm but not overwhelming and the car corners much better with a lower center of gravity. I've attached a pic for you to see with the kit installed. The car doesn't suffer from ground clearance issues either ! Good luck, Dean

[IMG]local://upfiles/26494/B738DAB49EB248AF872EE9EA866FF859.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26494/27A0DEA7862045DFABB30D00C9C8A364.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-25-2006, 04:07 AM
19stang66
4th Gear Member

The shelby drop does not lower the car 1" which it might seem, its actually like 1/2". Here is a post from stangnet by red65:

"One of the main benefits of the Shelby drop, besides lowering the car, is correcting the Mustang's original camber curve. On a stock '65-6 Mustang (maybe other years too - don't know), the outside wheel on a hard turn would tend to angle outward at the top, as the outside wheel is loaded and the suspension is compressed. Think about this for a minute - it's exactly the wrong motion. What you'd like is for the outside (loaded) wheel to angle inward at the top as the suspension is compressed, angling the tire more optimally to resist cornering force. The Shelby drop, combined with lowering the front end, helps to accomplish this correction (without spending a lot of time talking about suspension kinematics - someone's already done the math for you!). It only matters in the twisties, but if you mean to drive your Mustang even a little aggressively in anything but a straight line, you'll appreciate the difference. Hope that helps."

The thread below goes into even more detail on how it changes the geometry of the suspension and it will probably answer all of your other questions. I highly suggest reading this thread.
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthrea...ht=Shelby+drop

So no, your car would not be lowered a total of 2" if you got the suspension kit and did the drop.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:11 AM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

thats a good thread. just read it all and printed out the template.

now do you have to craft some alumium template to know where to drill the holes or what? why cant you just tape the paper to the shock tower wall and drill right though that....not precise enough or something???
Old 02-25-2006, 12:24 PM
pwhit
1st Gear Member

Thanks, I was really off in my thoughts. I that case you are better off to do the 1" susp. drop and then the shelby drop in addition. Not a bad deal. I'm all for better handling. Again Thanks for the better understanding.

I know we kinda switched topics but I believe the original question from muggsy was asking about the Grab a Trac kits and any kits like them. If poeple have used them and which ones are better or worse. I also believe he had a budget of around $1000.

Quick Reply: Suspension, Springs, Mustang's Plus