Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Has anyone ever done a Ford C6 Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 11:52 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Default Has anyone ever done a Ford C6 Swap?

Has anyone ever done a Ford C6 Swap into a 65 - 66 Mustang? Also, how is the C6 deferent from a AOD? Is the swap about the same for both coming from a C4 setup?
Old 02-26-2006, 11:54 PM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Has anyone ever done a Ford C6 Swap?

I have heard that the c6 wasnt very high quality. the c4 was much stronger and durable. but what do i know?

Okay i have no clue where i heard that.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:58 PM
JBradley500
3rd Gear Member

The C6 is the trans that they put in big block cars. its more able to take high torque and hose power but im not saying that its a better transmission, because i have no experience with c6's.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:17 AM
bdwjdw
2nd Gear Member

You can build a C4 to hold up to just about anything you want. I don't know this for sure but you will probably have to do some modification to your car to fit a C6 in it.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:19 AM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

yeah, almost all C6's were in big block cars. I have heard that there are some rare small block C6's. They are just a regular three speed tranny while a AOD has more gears right???
Old 02-27-2006, 12:57 AM
Baker
1st Gear Member

C6 is a beast (in a good way) tranny. According to my data plates my stang should have a C6 mated to the 351C v2, how ever someone slapped an FMX behind it (it's hard enough to get parts for a cleveland, but an FMX, foreget about it). The C6 Designed for big cars, trucks and handling loads of torque. It is heavier and takes a larger chunk of your engine horsepower to operate. Build yourself a bullet-proof C4, or go withh an AOD (although I understand AOD swaps are a pain).

My two cents worth.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:27 AM
BillyBobJoe
4th Gear Member

Mach 1's were built with FMX's I believe. And yes, the C6 is the stronger version of the C4. The AOD is an auto tranny with I believe more gears and the overdrive, woot! AOD swaps I havent heard too much on, but I assume the only big changes are the speedo gear, maybe a new driveshaft, and a new crossmember. The C6 is still a 3spd so if your putting a new tranny in, you might as well get a newer type with more gears/overdrive.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:45 AM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Thanks guys... Never knew what the C6 was.. I have a C4 in it right now and have been thinking about a few things with swaps. I thought about the T5 swap but I was told that the pressure to push the clutch in was a PITA. I have a bad back and thats the last thing I need. So, I'm leaning towards the AOD install.. I have the tech listing and it does not look to be that hard to do.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:55 PM
67_stang

I have a short bell C6 in mine. Was originally a C4 and I kept tearing them up. The trans shop who did the rebuild got tired of warranty work and suggested if I pick up a C6 they'd rebuild it + shift kit + install for "free" (aka I had already paid for a C4 rebuild that wasn't working well). Now in hindsite I have my doubts on their rebuild vs my vehicle's power.

Results: It's very solid. I've had it in there for 5+ years now and it works great.

Recommend: If you are doing a swap from a C4, go with an AOD. You already have to change various things to swap, so why not get the extra gears.

Now I'm stuck trying to decide if I want to swap to an AOD or use an OD add on (like gearvendors has). I like my C6, just if I had it to do again I would have gone for an AOD.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:05 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

I think that's the direction I'm headed.. I can get a rebuilt AOD for $600 so, I may go that way... My 302 is going to have Edelbrock 60229's (1.90 valves), Edlebrock Cam 2122, Try"Y" headers and an Edelbrock 500 Carb.

I Don't think that setup would be too much for a AOD..

I have an extra 302 block that I gave some thought to building up and just replace the 302 that's in it now. I have not been able to make up my mind because the 302 that's in it now, has no problems. It was rebuilt about 3 - 4 years ago by the prior owner and runs fine, no blue smoke or anything. So, I may just apply all the stuff to that block and use it as is.

Been unable to decide......

ORIGINAL: 67_stang

I have a short bell C6 in mine. Was originally a C4 and I kept tearing them up. The trans shop who did the rebuild got tired of warranty work and suggested if I pick up a C6 they'd rebuild it + shift kit + install for "free" (aka I had already paid for a C4 rebuild that wasn't working well). Now in hindsite I have my doubts on their rebuild vs my vehicle's power.

Results: It's very solid. I've had it in there for 5+ years now and it works great.

Recommend: If you are doing a swap from a C4, go with an AOD. You already have to change various things to swap, so why not get the extra gears.

Now I'm stuck trying to decide if I want to swap to an AOD or use an OD add on (like gearvendors has). I like my C6, just if I had it to do again I would have gone for an AOD.