Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Rearend sheetmetal work

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 12:09 AM
Kenny_Z
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Rearend sheetmetal work

You two have swayed me. I was looking into how hard it would be to fab up a replacement lip and make sure that it lined up correctly. It would cost me more timewise to build one than it would to purchase a premade and weld it in. I'll need the practice welding one in anyway because the Rustang needs a set down the road.

Since we're on the subject of rears. I'll be swapping out my leafs for a new set. I'm looking at this kit from Mustangs Unlimited http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...atkey=EMUSTANG
I doubt she'll ever run down a strip, something streetable that could stand up to the Alabama roadswould be nice. The PO installed airshocks which will be getting pulled out. I found that when I filled them up to about 45 PSI I got a great ride quality, kept the tires out of the fender on bumps,and a nice stance. Does anyone know if the above kit will provide that or can you recommend a good set of springs?Recommendations for shocks won't go unnoticed either.

By the way, I've said it before but I'll mention it again. I really like Mustangs Unlimited. I placed an order for about 100 bucks worth of parts lateSunday night. A trunk crossmember and some misc odds and ends like weatherstrip and u-nuts. It was on my door step waiting for me when I got home. I was very very impressed.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:35 AM
vineman
2nd Gear Member

I put this kit on my 72. https://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/p...080&page=1 It cheap for all the stuff that comes with it. it includes most things you'll need for the suspension. I couldn't tell you of ride quality as mine is not drivable yet so...
Old 02-26-2008, 11:49 PM
Kenny_Z
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the idea Vineman but the PO already replaced the entire front suspension when he was trying to solve a rattle issue. All I need are the rear springs to solve the sag.

I welded in a new trunk dropoff and the outerwheelhouse. Well, mostly welded in the wheelhouse, I ran out of shielding gas before I finished the final 4 rosette welds. [:@]

I had extra time I had planned to use finishing up the welds but since that wasn't going to happen I decided to attach the deck lid and check the quarterpanel alignment.

It's really really off. It's going to take me awhile to get the alignment on this one. The drip area around the deck is way too low and the quarter doesn't fully line up with the lip around the wheelhouse. Any tips about fitting the quarters would be much appreciated
Old 03-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Kenny_Z
2nd Gear Member

I must of spent about 4 hours getting that quarterpanel aligned. There's still a bit of a gap between the trunk lid and the new quarter that is still annoying me but I think I can get it to even out.

Right now it's all sheetmetal screws and clamps. I have some minor patches to weld in before I can get to securing the main sections.

I figured while I have her under the knife I might as well upgrade the brakes...

That's a discbrakeswap.com kit. Thanks again Daze.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:13 AM
Kenny_Z
2nd Gear Member

I'm so close to being able to take the car for a drive again. I haven't assembled the front brakes yet but I want to try out the new rear suspension. I finished the final welding early today so I tackled the rear springs. The passenger side was a breeze but the driver's side was a real pain. I ate up some dewalt saw blade on my recep saw before I stuck a 7 1/2 metal cutting blade from a circular saw on my 4 1/2 angle grinder. I do not recommend anyone doing that, it was probably a pretty stupid move on my part. It worked though and I didn't hurt myself.

I didn't take any progress pics but I did get some final pics.

Here's a picture of the semi-finished trunk area along with my faithful companion during this rebuild.

Tomorrow I hope to finish up the majority of the clean-up and take her for a drive. After that it's back to the garage to prep for paint and to install the front discs.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:37 PM
DanK69RustangVert
2nd Gear Member

Looks great Kenny, all it takes is time and money!

With the recent market ride, Iv'e put a stop on spending on my project until I see how my retirement funds have been affected. Without working I have to rely on dividends, that was great but needless to say they have been a little scarce latley. Once this weather in the Mid-West settles down (Rain, snow ,cold, rain, mud, cold...[:@]) I can get back to what little I can do without cash. At least I have most of the body for mine, just need to firm up the bottom.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:07 AM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

daaaaaaam looks great!!!
Old 03-18-2008, 07:51 AM
Kenny_Z
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys. Yeah, I managed to spend more on this project than I originally had planned. It took longer because I only spent my bonuses and 'on-call' money on the projects if I could help it. I ended up dipping into my other funds to get this car back on the road because it's a needed vehicle. During the course of this project I had brake problems with my other vehicle and could of used the Mustang to get to work that day instead of working on problem that morning. Thankfully I'm salary so it didn't cause me anylost revenuebut I had a backlog of work when I got in.

I finally got to drive her on Sunday night, out of the garage. While sweeping the floor I noticed there was a gas trail following the car. Apparently I managed to pinch and cut the o-ring when I was reassembling the sending unit the second time.I was looking forward to a trip around the block to see how the new springs felt [:'(]

Old 03-18-2008, 04:10 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

aw man, that blows. sorry to hear that!. just makes that trip around the block that more enjoyable when it comes time!
Old 03-18-2008, 06:37 PM
DanK69RustangVert
2nd Gear Member

Hey, at least you stopped to sweep before that turn around the block, it could have been a really rough ride if you had sparked that fuel!

Sometimes it seems we are watched after despiteOUR lack of omnipitance .

Quick Reply: Rearend sheetmetal work