Colorado Regional Chapter Chapter President: wcgman

Roll call, Sound off

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 04:20 PM
07graygt
2nd Gear Member

Hey Eric good to meet you. I've wanted to try outcross it sounds like fun. Where are you racing at? What it cost to do that?
Old 10-08-2012, 09:31 PM
MoshpitMad
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by needmorespeed

Love the wheels moshpit mad, really nice looking stang
Feel free to buy em, or let a friend know. Thanks.

I can't stand auto-x personally. It's usually around $45, you stay in 2nd gear most of the time, the run lasts :50-1:00 long, you only get 3 runs, and then you work for half the day. What racing organization makes you work 3hrs, and pay them for 3 minutes of total race time?
Old 10-09-2012, 09:45 AM
needmorespeed
1st Gear Member

Next next autocross is down at PPIR on the 21st. This is the place to signup if you are interested, rmsolo.org. It does cost around $45 for the day, we usually get four runs, but they do only last about a min and you do have to work the course. But it is cheaper and not as hard on your car as a full track day. I don't know exactly but I am pretty sure the safety rules aren't quite as stringent on an autocross course because you do generally only stay in 2nd. But for me is it about seat time and my car is a daily driver, so the wear and tear of consistent track days would really eat into my budget. But to each his own.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:33 AM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Eric,

My son just graduated UCD with a music/business degree. You're in a good school.

I like the track days too. However, when all the costs are added up, its about $500 for a weekend. Autocross, becomes a lot better on the pocket.

The entry fees on these events just cover the club's costs and not much more. The facility fee is usually expensive and then there is the mandatory insurance.

How long have you been involved with SCCA?
Old 10-10-2012, 09:38 AM
needmorespeed
1st Gear Member

JThor,

I have been in it for 1.5 yrs maybe almost 2. Not very long.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:22 PM
MoshpitMad
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JThor

I like the track days too. However, when all the costs are added up, its about $500 for a weekend. Autocross, becomes a lot better on the pocket.

How do you figure the $500 for a weekend track day?
Old 10-10-2012, 03:54 PM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MoshpitMad
How do you figure the $500 for a weekend track day?
For a stock car:

$175-300 for the entry fee.

Insurance for the car $100-150. Most insurance companies now exclude HPDE events from the insurance. Not an issue in autocross.

Tires and brakes. Stock pads don't cut it. So figure about $300 total for fronts and backs divided up by the number of events. Pads would usually last me the season. Rotors would be toast by the end of season. Also, at the end of every season, I would rebuild the calipers. The heat would fatigue the rubber.

Ditto for tires. I found that I would go through a set of street tires in 4-5 weekends. A $1000 set of tires over 4-5 weekends is a lot of money.

Gas (about one tank).

Oil change (I would change oil after every track weekend).

Brake fluid flush after every track weekend.

Lodging if you go out of town.

Food and whatever extras.

Last edited by JThor; 10-10-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:30 PM
MoshpitMad
3rd Gear Member

Wow...that's a lot. I'd say that's the high end of a day at the track for sure though. 4hr session could be done with half a tank, would take less time off the tires and brakes...I don't know many who insure their car for that 4hrs.

So...$150 for 4hrs of driving. That's equivalent to 100 auto-x events with seat time. Plus you get to shift, and feel the car at speeds other than 40-50mph.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:53 PM
JThor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MoshpitMad
Wow...that's a lot. I'd say that's the high end of a day at the track for sure though. 4hr session could be done with half a tank, would take less time off the tires and brakes...I don't know many who insure their car for that 4hrs.

So...$150 for 4hrs of driving. That's equivalent to 100 auto-x events with seat time. Plus you get to shift, and feel the car at speeds other than 40-50mph.
What I was quoting was for two-day events. There is definitely more seat time in a track event, and all things being equal, I would prefer the track event over the autocross. I never saw 4 hours of driving. Typically, there were three 15-20 minute runs first day. Second day would be one or two runs, then the time trials.

When I was doing them, I kept running totals of my costs. I didn't buy insurance because at that time, my insurer was still insuring HPDE's. Still, after adding up all the costs of running my car, it was really expensive - but worth it!
Old 10-11-2012, 01:41 PM
needmorespeed
1st Gear Member

I would agree that for actual seat time and driving experience a track day would be much better, but if your on a budget autocross is the way to go. I think starting out in autocross may be better because if you lose it I think there is a higher probability of serious damage to you and your car at a track day than an autocross. Also lets say you spend 450 on a weekend, that's a lot of money to find out you don't like driving in that manner.

Quick Reply: Roll call, Sound off