Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > General Tech > Convertible Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 03-30-2007, 03:12 PM   #21
Dutchie_in_Mobile

Default RE: Official Vinyl Top Care Thread

Okay, this is my first post here. So a couple of (probably typical) newbie questions.
I bought mine a little while ago (about two months) but haven't had a change to get on here enough to post...
Anyway, I have a 2004 40th Anniverary Edition "firetruck" red (what's the official name for this type of red?) with a tan leather interior and tan top. I will post some pics later when I have a chance....
It looks like the previous owner has had the top down when it was wet for there are mold/mildew looking stains in the top. [:@]
Can anybody tell me how to get them out and then from there on keep the top treated (what product and tools) and looking good?
Also I found some chips and scratches and so on the paint job. What is the best way to take care of those? And where would I get the best matching touch up paint? Ford, or anywhere else?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Eric

[IMG]local://upfiles/59566/EF8A28F0107043D8B1899343A0381ABA.jpg[/IMG]
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 04-23-2007, 04:59 PM   #22
zoomo6
1st Gear Member

I use formula 303 it's a great product.
zoomo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:42 PM   #23
PAINTEDPONY
1st Gear Member

I use nothing

05V6Vert
PAINTEDPONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:59 PM   #24
PistolPete
1st Gear Member

I have used nothing on mine yet, but going on 2 years now with this daily driver and it still looks great.
I heard Armor All can damage the fibers in the top.
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:46 AM   #25
awakeinAZ
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 07 Shelby GT 500

I use raggtopp!

Evo Stage 2 Kit, CS floor mats, signed dash plaque and airbag cover, painted mirror covers,
KR exhaust, Brenspeed tune, Watts oil separator, sequential turns, shorty antenna, clear front turns.
awakeinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:01 AM   #26
Chef
2nd Gear Member

armor all works fine, save your money
Old 05-21-2007, 04:58 PM   #27
Abom
1st Gear Member

My first convertible, so no idea how to take care of the top. So far it's hand washing with a wash mit and automotive soap.

I'm hoping to be able to park it under a roof before winter hits, I don't think the top will like -40 degrees [&:]
Old 05-22-2007, 07:15 AM   #28
Mez
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 03 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4

Cleaning:
My tips .. only wash it every 3-4 washes most of the time the top will stay pretty clean .. if there is a little bit of dirt .. just spray it down ... but when washing I just use a normal wash mit .. nothing fancy.. i tend to buy a new mit every month to keep it clean for the paint etc ... and I used turtle wax concentrated car wash soap.. never had issues with their car soap

For the Vinyl Top Car:
Iuse F21 protectant .. I use it every wash esp after the washes I actually clean the top... I apply with an old cloth diaper ... and i spray on the cloth and then wipe ... get a nice shiney coat ... let dry .. repeat .. and you're good .. I tend to wipe the top down 2-3 times a week with the rag .. it usually stays damp .. if not give it a spray or two .. I use the same rag so it just stays with the protectant ... its to keep it looking fresh and to keep the dust etc off of it .. I honestly have people come up to tell me how good the top looks all the time .. i just say TAKE CARE OF IT haha .. but F21 is my favorite protectant .. its cheap and works great ..

btw .. never store your car w/ the top down always park it at night with it up ... and again .. just take care of it !
Mez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:29 PM   #29
MustangSally99
1st Gear Member

Hmm, I'm confused. I thought they were all vinyl.

So my '99 GT is vinyl, but my '01 Cobra is canvas?? I've been treating both as vinyl, using ArmourAll or other vinyl cleaners/protectors.

MustangSally99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:36 PM   #30
7upedition
5th Gear Member

I'm thinking Ragg Topp is the way to go... gonna order some real soon!
7upedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:36 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
camaro, car, care, cleaner, forums, mcguires, mustang, oe, protect, protectant, raggtopp, top, tops, vinyl, vynil