Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Vinyl Top Care Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 02:12 PM
Dutchie_in_Mobile

Default RE: Official Vinyl Top Care Thread

Okay, this is my first post here. So a couple of (probably typical) newbie questions.
I bought mine a little while ago (about two months) but haven't had a change to get on here enough to post...
Anyway, I have a 2004 40th Anniverary Edition "firetruck" red (what's the official name for this type of red?) with a tan leather interior and tan top. I will post some pics later when I have a chance....
It looks like the previous owner has had the top down when it was wet for there are mold/mildew looking stains in the top. [:@]
Can anybody tell me how to get them out and then from there on keep the top treated (what product and tools) and looking good?
Also I found some chips and scratches and so on the paint job. What is the best way to take care of those? And where would I get the best matching touch up paint? Ford, or anywhere else?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Eric

[IMG]local://upfiles/59566/EF8A28F0107043D8B1899343A0381ABA.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-23-2007, 03:59 PM
zoomo6
1st Gear Member

I use formula 303 it's a great product.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:42 PM
PAINTEDPONY
1st Gear Member

I use nothing
Old 05-01-2007, 10:59 PM
PistolPete
1st Gear Member

I have used nothing on mine yet, but going on 2 years now with this daily driver and it still looks great.
I heard Armor All can damage the fibers in the top.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:46 PM
awakeinAZ
3rd Gear Member

I use raggtopp!
Old 05-21-2007, 01:01 AM
Chef
2nd Gear Member

armor all works fine, save your money
Old 05-21-2007, 03:58 PM
Abom
1st Gear Member

My first convertible, so no idea how to take care of the top. So far it's hand washing with a wash mit and automotive soap.

I'm hoping to be able to park it under a roof before winter hits, I don't think the top will like -40 degrees [&:]
Old 05-22-2007, 06:15 AM
Mez
3rd Gear Member

Cleaning:
My tips .. only wash it every 3-4 washes most of the time the top will stay pretty clean .. if there is a little bit of dirt .. just spray it down ... but when washing I just use a normal wash mit .. nothing fancy.. i tend to buy a new mit every month to keep it clean for the paint etc ... and I used turtle wax concentrated car wash soap.. never had issues with their car soap

For the Vinyl Top Car:
Iuse F21 protectant .. I use it every wash esp after the washes I actually clean the top... I apply with an old cloth diaper ... and i spray on the cloth and then wipe ... get a nice shiney coat ... let dry .. repeat .. and you're good .. I tend to wipe the top down 2-3 times a week with the rag .. it usually stays damp .. if not give it a spray or two .. I use the same rag so it just stays with the protectant ... its to keep it looking fresh and to keep the dust etc off of it .. I honestly have people come up to tell me how good the top looks all the time .. i just say TAKE CARE OF IT haha .. but F21 is my favorite protectant .. its cheap and works great ..

btw .. never store your car w/ the top down always park it at night with it up ... and again .. just take care of it !
Old 06-08-2007, 12:29 PM
MustangSally99
1st Gear Member

Hmm, I'm confused. I thought they were all vinyl.

So my '99 GT is vinyl, but my '01 Cobra is canvas?? I've been treating both as vinyl, using ArmourAll or other vinyl cleaners/protectors.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:36 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

I'm thinking Ragg Topp is the way to go... gonna order some real soon!

Quick Reply: Official Vinyl Top Care Thread