Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locking Center Console

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 03:33 PM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

Default Locking Center Console

As you all know, when in a rush sometimes we leave our tops down when running into a store quickly or in the driveway at home. Time after time I think to myself that it would be great if my center console had a locking mechanism to keep valuables, etc. While this might not be vital for coupe owners, this would be a huge value to vert owners.

Are there any aftermarket options for such a device? I've searched around and I can't seem to find any discussions about it. Has anyone put any thought to reworking their center consoles to make them more secure? Keep in mind my only experience is with s197 models... and yes I know the glove box locks but its ALLL the way over to the right and has limited storage capabilities. (plus that's where I store my manual, registration, napkins, flashlight, etc.

Point me in the right direction?

Old 12-09-2006, 10:15 PM
wythors
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Locking Center Console

I've owned convertibles of one stripe or the other since the mid-eighties and my rule has always been "never leave anything of any value in the car under any circumstances" so I've never had occasion to even think about this concept. Seems like it might be doable with a remote lock kicker without cutting the console.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:45 PM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

My brother's Z4 has a locking center console... simply uses the same key as the ignition, just like our glove boxes. A pretty simple concept... I'm actually surprised Ford didn't offer it.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:45 PM
BlakStang

I was also thinking it would be great if the centre console locked. It might be possible to order the same lock mechansim as the glove box, get it keyed the same and then rig something up. It will take a little ingenuity on your part and might not be cheap, knowing Ford parts prices.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:27 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Before this Stang I had a couple of Jeep Yj umm "convertibiles" lol and, they both had locking center consoles. I don't know why though, as the factory lock mechanism was sooo lame that one good YANK would pop the thing open anyway. So I never locked it AND never kept anything of value in there either.

So I've never worried about a locking center console in the Stang, as anything remotely valuable goes in the trunk. Buy a small toolbox that you can fill with all your stuff & stick the toolbox in the trunk where they'll be safe

Besides, half the time you go to get something out of the center console & it's LOCKED & will **** you off after a while