Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie with Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 12:12 PM
Kamalyn
1st Gear Member

Default Newbie with Questions

Hello everyone, I've been lurking here for awhile - while I decided what to buy and searched for it. Got a 2006 V6 Convertible yesterday - loving every minute of it.

This is the first car I have purchased that I actually care about - all my others were well... junk, I was hoping you guys could answer some (probably simple) questions.

[sm=helpout.gif]
When you guys are driving with the top down, and you go to the store or restaurant - do you leave the top down when you go in, or is that just a sure way to have your car messed with?
Is the boot for the convertible part worth buying if I will be driving with he top down a lot?
Anything I should know about caring for the convertible top - such as when washing it etc...
And - just in general - anything I should know before I go buy a bunch of cleaning supplies to wash my car? Chemicals to avoid, products to look for etc...

Someone also told me that when I drive it in the rain - soon as it is done raining I should rinse off my car with a hose, even if I'm not washing it right then. Is that a bunch of bologna - or is he right?

Thanks in advance for your answers [sm=gobble.gif]
Old 12-21-2006, 06:38 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Newbie with Questions

Hi welcome to MF & the world of verts!
-I used to put the top up ALWAYS when parking, but lately have started to become more trusting that people won't fool with the car when the top's down, so far so good. It's up to you & your comfort with the parking area in question. I don't leave it down at work because the area is pretty dusty & I never park the car overnight with top down. But will park it all day in my driveway with the top down no sweat.
- The boot is a pain in the *** & serves no real purpose other than to make the car look smoother. I never use mine, well except to take my sig pic lol
- keep the top clean by washing it with regular carwash cleaner. There's another thread in here that goes into detail on good cleaning methods.
- no you don't have to "wash the top after a rain" lol, but on the other hand you NEVER want to lower the top if it's wet. Doing that can cause mildew to form

Hope that helps

Old 12-21-2006, 07:09 PM
Kamalyn
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the response GreyStang. Living in Arizona, dust is always a big concern - especially in the summer when it is very dry. I'll have to take that into consideration when considering parking with the top down.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:36 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums. Whenever possible I drive around with the top down, but when I park, I put it up. I do this for some reasons. One, I have a leather interior and it gets hot as hell. Two, I want to protect that same exterior. Three, left it down on time and when I got home had to spend two hours cleaning the inside from dust and other stuff. Dont know where the heck I parked that I did not realize the dust was everywhere. I have the boot, but don't use it..it's a pain.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:40 PM
topless05GT
1st Gear Member

I drop the top every chance I get. I leave it down only when I keep an eye on it, otherwise the top is back up keeping the interior protected. I've used the boot several times - when I know the top is staying down for a fairly long time. But living in Indiana doesn't allow for that very often so the boot stays in the garage most of the time. My '05 hada vinyl top - easy to clean, easy to care for. The '07 has the cloth top - I think it looks better,I haven't had it long enough tocomment on the maintenance. Enjoy going topless whenever you can, I certainly do!
Old 12-22-2006, 11:35 AM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

I wish I had a boot, if anyone does not want theirs, I would be glad to have it, but I need one for a fox body. I will not usually put my top up when I park, unless I am going to the mall, or going to leave it somewhere I can not see it for long periods of time. I havea switch installed to cut off the fuel pump, but if a thief wants it, he is going to get it no matter what I do.
Also, my top installer told me it was not a good idea to put the top down when the temps are like below 60 degrees, he said it would make the top hard to put back up and stretch the canvas, possibly ripping seams or what not, anyone else heard of this.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:52 PM
Lizardbreath
2nd Gear Member

I drop the top every once in a while right now because it is winter. But during the summer time I don't think my top every gets put up.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:58 PM
vt89gtvert
4th Gear Member

I will leave mine down if I can see it, and I trust the area. My step-dad had someone spit a big wad of chewing tobbacco into the back of his so I am pretty cautious. As for the top, if I am driving somewhere I used to put mine on, but since I sold it due to a slow period in funds I don't anymore, but I'm looking for another on in white. And as for theft protection, I am getting ready to have three cut off switches in od places so the car will be a bitch to start if they are in place. But lets face it, old foxes are losing their value in being chopped for parts.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:26 PM
JimC

It depends upon where I am whether I put the top back up, or how long I'll be gone. I never leave it down in the parking garage at work for example -- too many "things" can land inside from nature as well as other sources. But if I am home and running into a store or restaurant, I frequently leave it down. My wife though usually wants me to put it up when we stop (she always did with the TransAm, but then she rarely put the top down on that car).
I have the top boot, and have never put it on. It's still sitting in the plastic wrap but I finally pulled it out of the trunk for space. The 05 and later have the hard front portion that covers the top when it is down and I've never felt the need to bother with the boot.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:31 AM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

I always have mine up unless I'm driving or at a show, i am parnoid there will be wrinkles if the tops left down for too long... i dunno just me i guess