Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vinyl vs. cloth top

Old 02-08-2007, 03:34 PM
easyErc

Default vinyl vs. cloth top

i noticed for 2007, the covert is available (as an option) with a cloth top. can anyone explain the difference (advantages or disadvantages) of having the cloth top versus the vinyl top. also, based on the info at fordvehicles.com, the cloth top is only available in black. can anyone confirm that? thanks in advance.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:12 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: vinyl vs. cloth top

I wonder how they waterproof the fabric and how to keep the fabric from falling apart from the UV rays of the sun? I live in the South where humidity is a big problem and would think that the cloth would rot.I personally would go with vinyl.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:46 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

I thinkthe cloth top is more expensive than the vinyl. Not sure. All I know is thatconvertible BMW, Mercedes or jag....they all have cloth tops....makes you wonder.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:06 PM
Valcore
3rd Gear Member

I live in FL and i also don't know how a cloth top would do down here... I like my vinyl top, with the right conditioner it has a nice deep color.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:55 AM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

Cloth is lessdurable as well. I know the price of replacing my top increased 400.00 when I told him I wanted vinyl replacement and not cloth, because I thought about the cloth option and changed my mine. Glad I did.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:49 PM
BatStallion

maybe they are offering the cloth top as a lower cost option and its possible that some people like the textured look of a cloth top...just my 2 cents
Old 03-05-2007, 02:41 AM
carockwell
1st Gear Member

Cloth tops are more durable than vinyl tops, that is why they come as an extra cost option. The outer cloth is very sun resistant and the inner rubberized cloth provides the water resistance. The inside layer is for soundproofing. You will find that the vinyl top starts to craze and crack in the sun before the cloth top needs replacing.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:44 PM
PAINTEDPONY
1st Gear Member

I saw aGT today at my local dealer, the cloth toplooks and feels amazing!
Old 03-17-2007, 12:41 AM
93 FHP SSP
4th Gear Member

I have a cloth top on my 92 GT Convert. I love it. It easier to take care of and looks great.

[IMG]local://upfiles/57141/06153A55594D4A779A07388E9C1E6FCF.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-30-2007, 08:21 PM
Jens07stang
1st Gear Member

I too have the cloth top on my 2007 and love it. It was a $200 option and well worth it IMHO. I've heard that they last longer and won't crack like the vinyl. 93FHPSSP, just curious if you've ever had to replace it yet?

In any case my car is really quiet with the top up, not that I've recently sat in a vinyl top to compare. I can put one rumer to rest though, the cloth top does not attract fiber like someone I was talking to thinks. I don't know where they got that idea from, but that is simply not true. I've hadmy car now since July '06 with no problems whatsoever. The black cloth I have is very rich looking and has a very deep black color that gives a good contrast with my vista blue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: vinyl vs. cloth top