Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing the top boot cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 02:08 PM
Dutchie_in_Mobile

Default Installing the top boot cover

Hello y'all,

I have recently bought an '04 "40th Anniversary Edition" red convertible. After I bought it I purchased a (used) top boot cover from Ebay.
Unfortunately I have no clue how to install the thing.... [sm=smiley19.gif]
I am guessing that the plastic piece at the front needs to slide or be pushed into the plastic thingy behind the rearseat but I can not get it in. Pushing it seems to be impossbile and slding it in from the side also doesn't seem to be an option.
And what about the back? Does it just have to be pushed in underneath the black rim? Or where and how does it go in? And then there are the two snaps. [sm=sigh.gif]

Anyway, what is the best way to do this and in what order do I do it?

Thanks in advance!

Regards, Eric de Jong

[IMG]local://upfiles/59566/CD626F828920415DB76EFCEB50EFF7BC.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-31-2007, 03:20 PM
vt89gtvert
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Installing the top boot cover

Back before I had mine stolen it was a pain in the *** to get it on. The black tabs on mine went into this gap around the black plastic that goes around the edge of the top area, and then there were snaps that were on the inside of the car. I'll take some pics of it here in a little bit so you can have a better idea. They are not the same cars obviously, but it might help.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:38 PM
Dutchie_in_Mobile

Thanks vt89gtvert,

But keep in mind that mine is '04 model. I know that for the older models the way of putting it on was different and even more a big pain in the behind.....
I will take a look at the images if you put them up but I am fairly convinced that they will be useless in my case. And don't take that th wrong way , I am not trying to insult anyone!
If anybody needs to know what mine looks like I can take some pictures and put the up but I think mine is the same for models from 99 or 00 to 04.

Thanx for any help that can be extended.

Regards, Eric
Old 03-31-2007, 09:01 PM
vt89gtvert
4th Gear Member

I didn't take it as rude at all, just trying to help out best I could. I was going to post the pics, but it has been crappy weather all day and raining, so I havent had a chance to take them. I still will tommorow if you are interested though
Old 03-31-2007, 09:35 PM
hot wheels
4th Gear Member

the top goes under the rear black rim, the snaps just snap on the two snaps located on top of the hard panels(where the rear speakers are inside), and as far as the sliding in part it takes a little patience, ya just gotta work it in there. kinda hard to explain but i hope this helps.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Dutchie_in_Mobile

Thanks guys,

I think I will just have to fiddle around with it a little and expriment.

By-the-way, I also have posted a reply to another thread concering cleaning the top. I think it is still on the first page of this forum. Look for the one that the last reply is from me (Dutchie_in_Mobile).
I seem to have seen you guys around quite a bit in the other threads so I am thinking you have a lot of experience.

Would you mind taking a look at it and mayb sharing your thoughts and ideas....

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Eric
Old 06-21-2007, 06:50 PM
ryan1101
1st Gear Member

I'm having the same problem. My stupid boot will NOT fit. :[
Old 06-22-2007, 04:00 PM
DJPcustoms
2nd Gear Member

I had an 88 that took WORK to put that thing on. Never used it regularly. They one for my '99 is a breeze to install. Hook that piece in behind the rear seats, then the part near the trunk. Then the 2 sides snap right in and your done. Takes a minute or two, although I am always afraid of it flying off on the highway lol.

Only pic I really have of it on at the moment:

Old 06-25-2007, 02:11 AM
Chef
2nd Gear Member

my opinion, boots are a total waste of time, car looks great without it and never know when itll rain
Old 07-05-2007, 08:26 PM
DonRich90

I'm thinking yours is the same as the one on my '00 GT. First, the long plastic tab on the leading edge of the boot goes into the plastic slot just to the rear of the seatback (mine doesn't go all the way in either - not sure it's supposed to). Next, fit the long plastic tab that runs along the rear edge of the boot under the black trim around the rear at the trunk while at the same timepushing thefirst long plastic tab further into it's plastic slot.. Then you can work on the two flaps that fit over the forward sideopenings. The plastic tabs on the sidesfit under the black body edge trim and the hook-types are worked under the front edges. Then just walk around and make sure eveything is hooked and snug.
It takes a little time the first time until you get the feel for how you can bend the tabs and hooks to fit. After a couple of times I could do the operation in 5 minutes or so.

Don

Quick Reply: Installing the top boot cover