Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang convertable leaks

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 06:03 PM
tat2dmeatman
Tat2d Member

I am SO glad I'm not the only one with this issue. Thanks for posting suggestions. It gives me alot of places to check.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:37 PM
mvandeusen
1st Gear Member

same problem... use black silicon rubber around some weatherstripping. an absolutely annoying problem... nothing better than musty moldy carpet smell
Old 05-02-2009, 10:15 AM
SuPa StaLLiOn 7
2nd Gear Member

I got a new convertible top last winter and I have no idea what it is... I think I should check the receipt for what I got. Lol
Old 05-05-2009, 08:59 PM
01red

Default Recommended sealants

I just bought an 01 vert last Wedensday. If you watch the weather channel, you know it has rained here in NJ since Fiday. Sure enough, I have a puddle in the rear driver side floor and the rest of the floors are wet. What a great way to start a relationship with a car

I read many post here and got a few tips of where to look for leaks. I have the two holes shown by Clarehills in the post "How to Fix a Leak in a 1999 - 2004 Mustang Vert". I raised the top half way and could put my finger through the holes, so I need to seal them when things dry out here.

It seams like the material is gatherd and folded at this spot. When the top is dropped, this fold is creased and eventually fatigues to point of opening a hole. This spot sees alot of flexing.

I also saw some water running down the inside of the top about an inch on either side of the rear window. I don't know where they come from yet.

What is the best sealant/patch system to use? I've seen a few things recommended here, but I wonder what has held up over time.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:36 AM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

Mine leaks on the window portion of the top but about 6 inches in from the overlap of the major convertible top part. my top seems to fold in the same plac eon both sides and has eventually worn two holes in. I'm getting mine replaced in 3 weeks. Can't wait.......
Old 05-20-2009, 12:28 PM
tinarhodes

Default Convertible Top Leaking

I have a 1997 Mustang Convertible, and it leaks something awful. After a day of rain here, my floors are all soaked, there is water sloshing around in the area where the top sits if the top were down, I have a puddle under the rear seat and need to remove the seat to dry the foam.

I've read many different solutions here, some work - some didn't. The top I have on it appears to be in good shape. It doesn't seem to fit well, there are places - one on each side - where you can put your fingers into a gap. This is not, however, where all the rain comes in - I know there are other places as I've covered those before to no avail. I would hate to go out and buy a brand new top only to find out it didn't fix the problem.

Any suggestions as to, if a new top is necessary, does it need to be one bought by Ford -- or can I go to any Average Joe Topper place and buy one that is supposed to fit?

By the way... found out the hard way not to go through a 'no-touch' car wash with this car and it's leaky problems. Holy COW that was horrible!
Old 05-20-2009, 01:05 PM
medic2154

Unhappy Blocked Trap

Just bought a 2004 Mustang Convertible 40th anniversity edition. I fell in love with the car as soon as I saw it on the lot. I bought the vehicle from a Toyota dealership and they assured me the vehicle was in good running order and that the top wouldn't leak...NOT. They suck, I found the problem myself and want to know if I can fix it or should I find a real mechanic. The trap on the drivers side is blocked.....Toyota cant seem to get it cleaned out. Any advise appreciated.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:26 AM
DraKhen99
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by medic2154
Just bought a 2004 Mustang Convertible 40th anniversity edition. I fell in love with the car as soon as I saw it on the lot. I bought the vehicle from a Toyota dealership and they assured me the vehicle was in good running order and that the top wouldn't leak...NOT. They suck, I found the problem myself and want to know if I can fix it or should I find a real mechanic. The trap on the drivers side is blocked.....Toyota cant seem to get it cleaned out. Any advise appreciated.
Haha, what is it about Mustangs ending up at Toyota dealerships? I got my 2004 GT Vert from a local Toyota dealership a couple of years ago

I had an intermittent leak that ended up with water in the driver's side rear floor, but it was only damp carpet, no smell or mildew or anything.

Last year I developed a leak at the bottom 2 corners of the glass, so I'm looking into fixing that. By the way, I found that while water got in during rain and car washes, if my Wolf (Evolution III material) cover is on the Stang, not a single drop of water gets in. (and the cover isn't even water proof!)

My solution so far is to keep it covered when rain is called for (more than 30% chance, or raining when I leave in the morning), and to put a super absorbent cloth-like chamois in the soft well, folder up. The chamois has absorbed a lot of water, and all I have to do is wring it out, and it's good to go again. When I wash the car, the chamois gets about 1/2 full of water, and after a week's worth of heavy rain, there was about a 1/2 inch of water in the well, and the chamois was soaked to the point it dripped when I was pulling it out of the car.

So if your leak isn't too bad, just fold a chamois length-wise and put it in the well, and it'll at least keep the water from sloshing around and getting out of the well.

I am going to get the fabric repair kit (Vinyl, type B) from Cabelas that was recommended, or take it to a convertible top guy who glued in a patch for me when my first crease turned into my first peel. I'd rather just fix it myself.

-John
Old 07-23-2009, 12:59 AM
SuPa StaLLiOn 7
2nd Gear Member

Ok well I don't know if some of you guys are like me (and don't open their trunk for two months) and find mold in your trunk... I have a subwoofer and amp in my trunk but neither have been affected by the leakage... the box that holds my sub is soaked (and the wood is warping) and the rest of my trunk is also soaked... when we get a big rain, it sounds like a damn lake in the part where the convertible top goes when down... I've had enough of this crap! BTW I replaced my top only last winter =/
Old 11-03-2009, 12:02 PM
newgrampy

If the holes mentioned are way down near the bottome of the fabric below each corner of the back window and look alike, they are factory made. Their purpose is for the water to run inside to the natural runway and over to the drain tubes that take it out of the car. If the car sits out all the time, after a few years the top will shrink and distort the holes enough to cause the water to not run to the right places. Or the drain tubes are plugged.

Quick Reply: Mustang convertable leaks