Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-20-2015, 11:52 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

How to Fix a Leak in a 1999 - 2004 Mustang Vert

Old 04-12-2013, 08:30 AM
peterzinyou

Default Leaky top

Thank you to everyone on this post. 04 GT with same problem, will get to it this weekend and hopefully fix it. Again ty, these forums rock.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:58 PM
Special20
1st Gear Member

Hi-- I have a 2003 Vert with the same holes in the same places. I went to my local dive shop and bought a couple of tubes of Stormesure. This is a flexible, waterproof adhesive. Divers use it on their dive suits and boots to repair holes. It is clear and self leveling. I located the holes and brushed it on with a small brush on the inside of the top. I also noticed a bunch of places where wear marks are present. I also brushed the Stormsure over the wear marks to make abrasion patches. It has held over 1 year now.-- Hope this helps.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Mustang_Don

Glad I saw this thread. Mustang Forums is a great site! I went out to the garage after reading the posts here to look in the vinyl top well in my '03 convert. Car was parked outside yesterday when we had some heavy thunderstorms pass through, so I expected to find a little water there if the top had any leakage around the rear window. Sure enough, there was a little water there, a few thimble fulls at each side that I wiped dry with a chamois. Considering the intensity of the rain yesterday, I'm guessing the leaks are coming from pinhole-size holes near the lower rear corners of the rear window, so I don't consider it a really urgent issue but one for my to-do list. The car has been driven and parked in 2 or 3 heavy rainfalls since I got it in mid-August, but I assume that any rainwater that got in before yesterday has long since evaporated. I haven't checked the trunk yet, hope there's no water there...
Old 04-19-2014, 03:58 PM
jrodriguez55

I'm glad I am register to this Blog, good solutions that work. thank you every one.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:18 PM
ladybosanova

Default Rear Window leak on a convertable

Originally Posted by Special20
Hi-- I have a 2003 Vert with the same holes in the same places. I went to my local dive shop and bought a couple of tubes of Stormesure. This is a flexible, waterproof adhesive. Divers use it on their dive suits and boots to repair holes. It is clear and self leveling. I located the holes and brushed it on with a small brush on the inside of the top. I also noticed a bunch of places where wear marks are present. I also brushed the Stormsure over the wear marks to make abrasion patches. It has held over 1 year now.-- Hope this helps.
I found out there are drains near the back window and if they get clogged then the water gets routed to inside the car including the trunk. I had my top replaced last year and learned this from the Tech.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:13 AM
Babik2242

I have a 2001 convertible mustang and it seems to me when I look at the back window on the left and right side the fabric seems to be separating from the window and it leaks when it rains and I don't know what to use to fix it any ideas ? thank you !
Old 09-12-2014, 11:28 AM
atikovi

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-tubes-DO...e=STRK:MESE:IT

I used it on the bottom of the window and it worked great, not sure of the sides.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:09 AM
Carolina Man
3rd Gear Member

I am glad I found this now I can fix my leaks
Old 10-25-2015, 10:13 AM
bobbyo

Thumbs up Convertible Leak Fix

I struggled with leaks created by the holes shown in the first post. Tried various fixes that didn't work well. Finally tried pumping the area both inside and out with Flex Shot clear as seen on TV. So far so good!
Old 10-25-2015, 11:18 AM
Carolina Man
3rd Gear Member

I used Gorilla Tape on mine as a temporary fix, my top has to be replaced it's in really bad shape.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to Fix a Leak in a 1999 - 2004 Mustang Vert