Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-20-2015, 11:52 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

How to Fix a Leak in a 1999 - 2004 Mustang Vert

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 09:20 AM
01red

What I did for these leaks was stand the top straight up to gain easier access to the holes under the flaps. I glued a 4x4 inch piece of vinyl to each hole on the outside using lots of Goop. I then closed the top and glued annother 4x4 patch around the fold inside. I then clamped the repair and let it dry. (I didn't need the car for a week, so I am sure it cured while I was gone.)

So far no leaks since Memorial Day.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:40 PM
clarehills
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DraKhen99
I probably lower and raise my top an average of 3-4 times per day (days when I drive the car, anyway), so I'm sure that's what caused it ... Mine appears to be in the bottom corners of the rear window though, since that's where the water looks like it's coming from.

I read through your directions for fixing the leaks, and I have a question: It seems like you have the top up when you apply the glue, but when you're letting it cure, do you have the top down? And do you do the inside and outside of the vinyl at the same time, or do you do one in one day, and the other the next day?

Thanks,

-John

Hey John, sorry for not replying sooner - I was out in the field
I have the top up when I am applying it and when it is curing. I did it this way because I wanted the glue to set when the top was in its most strectched condition. That way when I put it down the glue can relax/contract. If I had done it the other way around I suspect that the glue would have been too stretched and would give out.

In answer to your second question, I did the inside one day and the outside the next day - there should be no reason you cant do them the same day though...

The fix I made is still holding perfectly - I dumped a few buckets of water on it at the weekend and not a drop

Hopefully you get the same results...
Old 08-17-2009, 10:06 AM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

this DEFINATELY needs to be a sticky, given that this is an all-too common problem. just went out to my car, and the two holes were right where you said they would be. i already purchased the tent repair kit talked about in another thread on here, but i haven't used it on the holes yet, so i'm not sure if this is the culprit or not. i normally just keep a towl in the back window of my car, and when it starts to stink, i trade it out with another one. we call it my car's tampon :lol:
Old 08-17-2009, 10:29 PM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by IRSmart
this DEFINATELY needs to be a sticky, given that this is an all-too common problem. just went out to my car, and the two holes were right where you said they would be. i already purchased the tent repair kit talked about in another thread on here, but i haven't used it on the holes yet, so i'm not sure if this is the culprit or not. i normally just keep a towl in the back window of my car, and when it starts to stink, i trade it out with another one. we call it my car's tampon :lol:
So I had a total of 3 holes, right where you said they would be. The problem is, they were all the way at the bottom of the top, resting on the frame of the car, so I couldn't use the patch material on them. As I took the vinyl boot off below the top, I discovered a water canal behind it, meant if any water got in between the top and the car. Problem is that the vinyl boot covers this, and the water that leaks in just stays in the boot. So what I did was cut a hole out of the top of the boot to allow the water to get behind the boot, to the water canal, and out of the car. So the top still leaks, but the water is just directed right out of the car again. It's a much easier way to "fix" the leak, and the piece of cloth that is screwed to the back of the car and attached by a bungee cord hides the hole that I cut. If anyone is interested in what I did I can take pics on Thursday.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:59 PM
scseg
1st Gear Member

Default Hole where window meets canvase

Any Ideas at the bottom of glass back window? Hole is in lower corners, so runs down window into the trunk, and gets amp wet.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:14 AM
clarehills
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by scseg
Any Ideas at the bottom of glass back window? Hole is in lower corners, so runs down window into the trunk, and gets amp wet.
Depending on the location of the holes I would suggest either the patch method or the 'channel' method - creating a safe path from the hole to the outside of the car, both methods are described in previous posts in this thread.

Have a read and let us know of those approaches won't for some reason, good luck!
Old 09-15-2009, 07:00 PM
Greyhounder

That's a beautiful write-up! Thanks!

My 99 shows a little wear where those holes in the pictures are, but I don't think it's enough to let much water in. But my problem is at the bottom of the rear window. The vinyl roof material is glued to the glass itself (with some fake stitching for appearance), and that is coming loose. Before there was just about an inch on either side that wasn't tightly sealed, at the corners. Now one has opened, and more when I looked at it, so it's now 8" wide.

Does anyone know what kind of glue or sealant I can use to repair that? What will stick to the glass?

The initial problem is the vinyl boot behind the rear seat was filling up with water. It used to be a minor nuisance, but the other day a lot had collected, so it was pretty deep. We've had a lot of rain in DFW lately.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:14 PM
clarehills
2nd Gear Member

Dude, I would probably suggest some kind of flexible glue like the one earlier on in the post but if I was you I would go to ace hardware (or some such place where you live) and tell them what you need, they are a good bunch of lads and know their stuff:
- Flexible glue
- Long lasting glue
- Glue that adheres to glass/perspex and vinyl

Good luck!
clarehills
Old 09-29-2009, 09:32 PM
Greyhounder

The 3M Weatherstripping stuff did the trick. I pulled the whole bottom part of the vinyl away from th glass and redid it all, and it's holding up great.

Thanks again!
Old 09-29-2009, 09:45 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Glad it worked!

Quick Reply: How to Fix a Leak in a 1999 - 2004 Mustang Vert