Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leak or drainage problem in a 2006 vert

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 10:51 PM
ym42
2nd Gear Member

Default Leak or drainage problem in a 2006 vert

Its been raining hard in NJ and I have a new water problem. When driving, I can hear the water sloshing around the back seat. It seems like the sound is coming from the space where the rear triangular window and the belt go into. When I took the plastic cover off I could not see the water inside, despite using the flashlight inside. I looked below the rear window, the shelf is dry, so where is all that water? Is that a leak or a plugged drain? I have had water inside the trunk every time it rains as well, in both spaces on either side, left and right, under the carpet... Does anyone knows whats going on?
Old 11-01-2009, 07:24 PM
ym42
2nd Gear Member

OK, here is an update... When I lowered the top, I could see the water inside the rear quarter panel space, in the space right in front of the wheel-well. Its right under the rear quarter panel glass, deep down. There is a drain in there that was plugged. I just took a long plastic stick from the window blind, and was able to reach the bottom of the space and moved it around, immediately the water started to drain... When I have more time, I will remove the inner trim panel to reach the space by hands in order to remove the debris...
Old 11-22-2009, 04:44 AM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ym42
OK, here is an update... When I lowered the top, I could see the water inside the rear quarter panel space, in the space right in front of the wheel-well. Its right under the rear quarter panel glass, deep down. There is a drain in there that was plugged. I just took a long plastic stick from the window blind, and was able to reach the bottom of the space and moved it around, immediately the water started to drain... When I have more time, I will remove the inner trim panel to reach the space by hands in order to remove the debris...
I've been hearing the same sounds and was meaning to check it out, but I haven't yet. I looked it up and found your post...and a couple TSBs that might explain drop top issues(07-19-01, 07-20-03 & 07-17-08). The funny this is your car is the same year as mine as you have the same mileage(mine is a v6 though) so we are both out of the warranty period. I think I'm affected by both since I also found an unexplainable small tear in my top as referenced in one of the TSBs. I have the Ford ESP warranty, but drop tops don't appear to be covered. I'm calling the dealer where I bought the car and see if they will fix it, especially since one of the TSBs is to install a new improved roof. I'll let you know how I make out. Did you ever get the debris removed?
Old 11-26-2009, 09:43 AM
scan1959
1st Gear Member

In years past(back when they were popular), the Chrysler Lebarons had this problem. It got very costly because the electric motor for the 1/4 glass window was down low in this pocket and would short out when it got wet. I haven't seen this problem with Mustangs.

The remedy we used was to try to vacuum it all out. If that didn't work you can take a steel punch and punch extra holes from the underside to allow the water to drain. It doesn't seem to harm anything. Don't know how it would affect cars in places where chemicals were on the road in winter. I live in Florida. Nothing rusts here in middle of the state.

Scan
Old 04-24-2015, 08:04 AM
gchristia2

Default mustang rear window leak

i have a 2006 mustang convertible, the rear quarters have filed up with water, last year i fixed the drivers side now have to do the passenger side, you have to remove the rear bottom seat, next remove the side pannel,the rear window should be up to get at the area, you have to remove a i think is the speak panel they you can get to the area, a little tight, then i got a metal coat hanger and so i could clean out the drain on the bottom. i found that debris gets in there and plugs up the drain

Hope it helps

took about 1.5 hr

greg