Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noobie question about top drains

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 07:27 AM
joe morreale

Default noobie question about top drains

I am researching for a friend with a 2001 convertible that has suddenly started leaking onto the back deck. ( Of course it has just started raining ) I'm only experienced in miatas. Is there any drains that can be cleaned out or might be clogged to cause this? Should I be looking for holes near the window? I did some searching and couldn't really find any answers. I would like to try and figure out what is wrong this weekend and I'm not afraid to take things apart to get a good look, but I don't know what I'm looking for.

Thanks
Old 05-18-2010, 07:55 AM
Misbehavin
2nd Gear Member

My experience with the New Edge verts has shown the need to check for holes around the rear window itself first. The back glass is a separate piece from the rest of the top, and it usually tends to be the source of the problem for what you describe. Check around the corners of this window carefully from the outside and the inside, as how easy it is to spot from each side really depends upon the exact nature of the hole.

Another potential thing to check is to look at the rubber seals around the rear glass when the top is up. Usually if this is an issue, you'll find the problem on the real seal towards the bottom. A bad seal in this location will also leak water into the rear top well area as well.

I would look in the above areas first for a problem, as that's the most likely source of a leak and a quick visual inspection will be easy. To completely check the drains, you'll need to pull the rear seat out, followed by the side panels. From there you can access the interior panels and inspect the areas in question.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:51 PM
sinister99GT
2nd Gear Member

i have a auto upholstery shop, if water is getting in the well area behind the back seat the material has worn through from the plastic strip that holds the well up. you will see a ware spot where the headliner is attached at the rear of the car. there are sharp corners on the plastic strip that over time wear a hole in the material and allow water to run in.in some cases you can get by with puting 100% silicone in the hole, put a bunch in there and dont put the top down for a couple of days. it may work for a while, if not the window will need to be replaced.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:22 AM
01red

Read "How to Fix a Leak in a 1999 - 2004 Mustang Vert" in this forum

https://mustangforums.com/forum/conv...tang-vert.html

Then let us know if you find the holes.