Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible pump hose connections

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 10:58 AM
frznpny

Default Convertible pump hose connections

Hi,
My name is Harvey and I'm new to the forum. I just picked up a 2001 GT Convert that had no top pump at all. The hoses look like they have been cut off with no connectors on the hose ends. I bought a new pump from Ford but the counter guys had no clue about connectors and the diagram that they had didn't specify what they might even look like. I have zero convert experience but have wanted one forever. Really enjoying the car but I can't enjoy it to its full potential here in Alaska because I can't raise the top by myself (too short) and when I leave the house with the top down, it's down for the day and the weather can change pretty rapidly here. Can anyone help me identify what the connectors look like and how to install them? I really appreciate any help that you might be able to provide,

thanks in advance,

Harv
Old 05-06-2011, 12:52 PM
frznpny

Bump.

anyone have a pic of an installed pump in a car?

Harv
Old 05-19-2011, 04:17 PM
frznpny

Originally Posted by frznpny
Bump.

anyone have a pic of an installed pump in a car?

Harv
Is anyone out there? anyone?
Old 05-24-2011, 04:01 PM
01red

I am confused on your question. Which connectors are you referring to? The ones at the pump or at the cylinder? Either way I imagine you would have to buy the whole hose assembly since it is a high pressure system.
I would think the parts store where you bought the pump can sell you the hose assembly. Have you tried a dealer? If you seaach on line there are a few places to buy convertible parts including the hoses.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:19 PM
scan1959
1st Gear Member

Harv,

01red was correct. These hose sets are set up with 3 crimped connectors per hose.

When you order you get 2 hoses. A connector is fastened to the pump, then the hose goes to a "T" and ends up at each cylinder (top or bottom). The other hose goes to the other side of the pump and the corresponding fitting on the cylinders.

You can't just buy the fittings and hose clamp them onto a set of tubing. This will be a fiasco. Also these tubes get brittle and break easily over time, so buying a hose set from a salvage yard might not be a good option.

Buy online from a reputable Pony dealer.

Last edited by scan1959; 05-24-2011 at 05:30 PM. Reason: wrong clamp
Old 05-26-2011, 04:16 PM
frznpny

Thank you both.

I appreciate your patience with a newbie.
So the hose kit should come with everything to connect from the cylinders to the pump including fittings, "T", etc? My pump came with the rubber grommet on the end and two plugs located one on either side of the pump. I have 4 hoses coming to the center (two from each side) where the pump is supposed to go. The hoses have been cut and don't have any fittings. The countermen at my local Ford Dealer are completely useless. They only know part numbers, not having a clue how they actually go together. Any recommendations on "a reputable Pony dealer" online for a hose kit? Prefer West Coast but anywhere is fine if quality, service and pricing is good.

Thanks,
Harv
Old 05-27-2011, 08:38 PM
scan1959
1st Gear Member

Harvey,

Sounds like you have everything you need, but the hose kit and Automatic Transmission Fluid to fill the pump.

Convertibletopguys.com in Rhode Island; topsdown.com in Florida, mustangdepot in Las Vegas, etc, have these. The prices appear to be $ 100 to $150.

I can't vouch for the service Mustang Depot gives as I always try to use the ones closer for saving $ on shipping. Call and ask whether or not the vendor has the item in stock. Then either give the operator the order, or go online and place the order. If they don't have the item, they still might be good to deal with, but in Alaska, you don't want to lose your summer "Vert time" waiting on a vendor.

The previous owner probably cut the hoses off on the other side of the "T" after a break in the hose. This usually is the reason, besides, then you can still raise and lower the top whether or not you have the money to replace the pump or hose set.

Good luck!