Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello, looking at a 1990 5.0 convertable auto....

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 07:59 PM
ruskiegunlover
2nd Gear Member

Default Hello, looking at a 1990 5.0 convertable auto....

Curious what you guys think of the auto tranny ford put in the mustang? The one I am looking at is an automatic, with 128,000 and recently was flushed, and had a new filter and seal installed. Owner says it shifts fine, I am driving it this coming weekend. My brother in law claims these trannys suck, were always weak. But it seems like some people have had them go a couple hundred thousand miles with no isses.......the rest of the car seems fine. I may very well make an offer on it. What do you think? Are the 4 speed od autos for put in the 5.0 fox bodies crap, or good?
Old 08-22-2011, 05:55 AM
ruskiegunlover
2nd Gear Member

no opinions?
Old 08-22-2011, 10:36 AM
ryan1994mustang
4th Gear Member

you should probably post this in the 5.0 section of the forum. The convertible forum is pretty slow and generally only used for posts related to the actual convertible top itself. good luck if you do decide to buy the car though.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:06 PM
ruskiegunlover
2nd Gear Member

I did post it there originally, but a mod moved it, I think because the title seems like i am just talking about the top. I am in reality talking about the auto tranny ford used, wanting to know if they really are crap or not.....
Old 08-22-2011, 08:34 PM
TexasTanker19kilo20
Goldilocks

From what I have read many times, the AOD is junk. Even though that is multiple opinions. I guess it's luck of the draw. I have a 5 speed and love it. Most FOX owners swap over to the T5 once the AOD goes out. Hope this helps, post pics of the FOX if you get it.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:36 PM
Shaft
1st Gear Member

My 93 LX Ltd is an auto. I've only owned the car a little over a year, but I've never had any problems with it. If you want to hot rod around, and convertible isn't the best to do it. They are heavy and even with a V8 they aren't that fast. I got mine because I wanted something fun to cruise around in.

One thing to keep in mind is that you are considering buying a car that is over 20 years old. If it later has transmission problems, is that really going to be a big surprise?

I also wanted the auto so my wife could drive it.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:11 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Let us know how it goes..
Old 08-23-2011, 09:16 PM
hfjeff

I just swapped my AOD for a T5 in my 93 LX vert. It ran just fine, but is a bit sluggish. It upshifts way too early in my opinion and also downshifts way too late. I had to put my foot to the floor practically before it would drop down.

People say the AOD is junk, the T5 is junk, it all depends on how you are going to drive it and if you can do some repairs yourself. Worst case the tranny craps out and you buy a used one and swap it on a Saturday afternoon. BTW, mine is on Ebay if you want a good spare : )
Old 08-24-2011, 06:01 AM
ruskiegunlover
2nd Gear Member

I've never done engine or tranny swapping. Never had to yet. In fact, I'd likely pay someone to do it, as I am not sure I would want to learn like that. And if the AOD craps out, I'd likely put in a t5 anyway. Going to drive the car tonight, so we'll see how it is......
Old 08-27-2011, 07:33 AM
ruskiegunlover
2nd Gear Member

going to go look at it today......MIGHT be driving it back home 3 hours.......

Quick Reply: Hello, looking at a 1990 5.0 convertable auto....