Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000yr, Convertible cylinder problems. im thinking of DIY, but cant remove plug

Old 01-31-2012, 06:14 PM
maiden16tiger

Default 2000yr, Convertible cylinder problems. im thinking of DIY, but cant remove plug

Hey guys,
(quick background; top goes down fine, but only makes noises when trying to put it back up)
this is my first thread here, im also a new member to the site.

So, i have a 2000 mustang, (non GT), and the convertible worked fine when i got it, but now it lowers, but doesnt go up.

i been reading a lot and im assuming that its the cylinders, not the top motor (since the top motor does work and make noise).

anyhow, i've read that i need to refill the topmotor with fluid that might of leaked from the cylinders. So, i was able to locate my top motor by removing the black fabric behind the seat.

I can see the black plug, the reservoir, but im afraid of damaging it. There were no instructions as to how to remove it properly.

Also, my has no indications anywhere (externally) of the amount of fluid in there.

SO, guys, anyone can help me out here??

A local autoshop wants to charge me like 250 to get both cylinders replaced and refill the top motor.

ive read that just refilling it fixes the problem, even if it continues to leak; which by the way, the auto shop said that all that liquid will form up under the seats making a mess..

any help is appreciated. Thank You
Old 03-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Somnambulator

what did you end up doing? im in the exact same situation. i was going to replace the motor but i feel it might be the cylinders instead.