Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 GT post-tune "pinging"

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 11:29 AM
08_Black_vert_GT

Default 2008 GT post-tune "pinging"

I recently added CAI and a Bama tune from American Muscle to my 2008 GT. On the first runs after the tune I experienced "pinging" also known as "detonation" - at every tune level. Street, Performance and Race. It happens relatively consistently at 5,000 RPMs. Before I go back for a retune - any ideas on what to check?

Yes, it is tuned at 93 Octane and I only use 93.

Please help - thanks
Old 03-02-2012, 09:51 PM
ryan1994mustang
4th Gear Member

you would have much better luck posting this in the 2005+ section. the convertible tech section is only for issues directly related to the convertible top.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:12 PM
zanypunk
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08_Black_vert_GT
I recently added CAI and a Bama tune from American Muscle to my 2008 GT. On the first runs after the tune I experienced "pinging" also known as "detonation" - at every tune level. Street, Performance and Race. It happens relatively consistently at 5,000 RPMs. Before I go back for a retune - any ideas on what to check?

Please help - thanks
When you post something like this you need to tell the Mileage and other things you've done to the vehicle or else no help :P

Note: When you return to the tune to stock, does it still detonate? If so, then it's the tune. Over-advanced ignition timing, but I don't know since you're not being detail. To be honest it could be a lot of things, it's just a matter or pin pointing things. Just following the chart. :P
Old 03-09-2012, 02:08 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08_Black_vert_GT

Please help - thanks
There's a few things that I like to do, just to make sure it's not something underlying that may be causing the pinging.

1.) Make sure to fill up at a brand name gas station (Sunoco and Shell are the best).

2.) Clean your throttle body. This is the most common cause for idle instability, fluctuation and pinging comes from a dirty throttle body or dirty MAF sensor. Cleaning both of these really good is a smart move and isn't bad for maintenance, anyway.

3.) Fuel filter. This is also huge. I'd say this is the most common problem for pinging specifically.

4.) Check for any apparent vacuum leaks, go over couplers on the CAI, coupler to the throttle body, etc.

Once you've done all of this, if the pinging persists, give the Bama team a shout! They're really good at trouble-shooting this kind of stuff and can check the tunes to make sure it's not something that was done wrong on our end. It could be a 10 minute fix on our end!

Hope this helps get you taken care of. Give me a shout if you have any questions at all or contact the Bama team and you'll be running good in no time!