Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on disconnecting power top, raising top manually.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 02:53 PM
ruskiegunlover
2nd Gear Member

Default Question on disconnecting power top, raising top manually.....

I am not rich, and have heard replacing the top motor is expensive. My top thus far is great, no issues going up or down. But I know eventually the top motor will go bad, or the system will develop a problem. I am considering just disconnecting the entire rig, and just raising and lowering the top manually. Am I the only one here who would do this, or does this? I am saving money for a new paintjob, and don't really see it as nessassary. Then again, I have never raised the top or lowered it manually. How many of you have disconnected the power settup and just done it manually? How would I disconnect the system? Heck, how do you access it? When I look in my trunk, I cannot even find the system......
Old 06-27-2012, 11:10 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Though I am not familiar with your model year (boy do I wish I were) There are alot of people who do what you are asking. IF it were me Id remove the cylinders and the whole lot to help save weight. Usually the rig is behind the rear seat behind a cover or in the trunk behind another cover in that area and you have to be a contortionist to get at it. You will need to remove the elcrical connectors and A. Disconnect the cylinders or B. Remove all the fluid from the system as you will be fighting the hydraulic system otherwise.