Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many here leave there top down for extended periods?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 03:04 PM
ruskiegunlover
2nd Gear Member

Default How many here leave there top down for extended periods?

I have left my top down for weeks, almost a month. Its garaged, and kept dry, so I don't think there is any harm......but is there? I just washed and detailed it the other day, put the top and windows up.......no problems, and it looks ok. Anyone else here leave there top down? I also don't want to wear out the top motor yet, and feel like constantly putting it up and down will help wear it out a lot faster......
Old 07-14-2012, 03:28 PM
UberDuper
1st Gear Member

I had an s2000 before my mustang and I always left the top down. If you've got a glass rear window, which I assume the mustang has then I wouldn't expect there to be any issues. The first few years of the s2000 had plastic windows that would fold when the top was down.

The only real downside to leaving the top down in the garage is dust all over your interior.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:47 PM
SD 197
2nd Gear Member

I may depend on the materials, but I was always taught to put my top back up when not in use for extended periods of time.

At the very least, wait until it's warm before you put the top back up, particularly if the top is vinyl.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:21 AM
ruskiegunlover
2nd Gear Member

Well, it is a vinyl top. I left it up in the sun after I washed and detailed the car last week. Sat it outside to completely dry off, and the top looked fine.

I have put it back down though.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:07 AM
TRAIL BOSS
1st Gear Member

The longest I go is 4 maybe 5 days.Always gos up and down never had a problem.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:47 AM
ruskiegunlover
2nd Gear Member

I haven't had any problems yet either......But being that I like driving it with the top down, especially in the summer, and I have a garage, I don't see the point of putting it up every time I come home. When school starts again this fall, I will drivie it to work and put it up THEN every time.....Anyone else leave it down like me?
Old 07-19-2012, 08:42 AM
BroncoTrooper

I always put the top back up after I park. I read an article once (can't remember where) that leaving the top down on a convertible can make the top essentially "shrink." I have no idea to the articles validity, but I figure it's better to be safe than sorry. Plus, my garage isn't exactly weatherproof, so I'd just be trashing the inside of my car if I didn't put it back up.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:53 PM
2011V6Conv
1st Gear Member

I also heard that if you leave the top folded for extended periods of time, the folding part may deteriorate. Did not try to validate this, but it makes sense to some extent. I do not leave mine down for more than 2 days ( usually on weekends)
Old 07-20-2012, 09:59 PM
UberDuper
1st Gear Member

I left the top down on my s2000 for months at a time back in Arizona and it was flawless after 7 years when I traded it for the mustang.

If you're concerned about it, put it up. Not like it's a cheap manual top.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:05 AM
dwb91lx
1st Gear Member

I think the older vinyl tops are much more vulnerable because of the thicker material...the longer it forms to the crease the quicker you will see cracks. Makes me think the newer style tops would be a great retro on a Fox Body convertible...

Quick Reply: How many here leave there top down for extended periods?