Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tan top - black stains

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 03:44 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

Default Tan top - black stains

So I've used 303 cleaner and protectant. I've used a brush and soap and water. I've rubbed with a rag. I've used diluted krud cutter and 409 (and washed away carefully) and nothing seems to get it out.

I've got some black stains where the top folds when its down. I'm assuming mold or the like, but it won't come out. I can't think of anything else to try.

Anybody got some ideas for a more...er, extreme cleaner? I don't want to tear it up but it looks like hell with the top up.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:11 PM
Special20
1st Gear Member

Hi- I have a 2003 GT Vert that I bought 2 years ago. It had a lot of black spots everywhere and I was able to get 98% of all spots out. I will be crucified here but I used Clorox Clean-up full strength. I parked in full sun, soak the top with water, spray on the Clorox, brush in with a soft brush, rinse off completely and repeat. DO NOT LET THAT STUFF DRY ON THE TOP!! This will also take care of any mold and mildew that is in your drain lines. After taking care of the top, wash the rest of the car as usual, wax the car and waterproof the top. I have done this a few times in the last 2 years and have not had any problems, yet.--Hope this will help
Old 04-06-2013, 07:47 PM
JFitz
2nd Gear Member

I guess I'l give it a shot.

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2013, 02:06 PM
sparks717

I can only offer up some advice from my own mold spots issue from a few years ago. Hopefully, it will help. I had mold spots right after I purchased the car years ago from where the previous owner would put the top down while it was still wet. I was never able to get the spots to come out completely through washing, but they did eventually go away on their own. I just left the top up and in the direct sunlight. It took some time, but they faded completely away leaving no trace of mold behind. Direct sunlight and heat are molds worst enemies.

Try to keep away from anything that will harm the integrity of the fabric though. The spots will eventually go away if you take proper care of the top. Leave it closed as much as possible and only let it down when the top is completely dry.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:20 PM
EatYourTv

i live in florida, and we have an incredibly destructive infestation statewide of whitefly. my partner's best friend has a tan ragtop and it is completely spotted black. it looks like spots of mildew, but after i visited his house and worked in his garden one weekend, i discovered it's actually whitefly droppings! he has a ficus tree that is infested with whitefly, and he was parking under the tree for it's shade!
to be honest i do not know what will remove your stains without bleaching out the roof if it is a fabric (not vinyl like mine) but look for something that removes whitefly dropping and doesnt bleach out a fabric you'd want to test it on first.
also, if your state does have whitefly, treat your yard first or you will never put an end to the reoccuring issue.
i hope this helps!