Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new 'stang guy with a question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 06:26 AM
Helotech

Default new 'stang guy with a question

Hey guys,

I'm picking up a new to me '99 convertible today, I already know on of the first things I'm going to do it change the tan top for a new black one. the tan one is not only ugly but has a couple "wear" holes in the outer layer.

I'd like to do this myself as I do all my own auto work, does anyone have a source for some comprehensive instructions or video? I've searched youtube and only found short "teaser" videos from people who want to sell the entire thing. not that I'm opposed to buying them but would like some first hand info first.

thanks
Old 05-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Special20
1st Gear Member

I bought one from aoksales and it seemed pretty straight forward. I watched it a few times but have not changed my top yet so I cannot give you any hands on information. I think it was worth the money just for the knowledge. Good luck
Old 05-27-2013, 06:52 PM
scan1959
1st Gear Member

Helotech,

Don't forget the option to purchase a top(it will include the conv top frame) in good shape, used, from a salvage yard.

This option is a good one because you can buy the top already installed and sometimes you get a top that has recently been replaced. Just remember to look and make sure that the back window is still attached to the convertible topping at the back window glass in front of the trunk.

It is best to have a second person to help you horse it out of the convertible opening or back into the opening in your car at home.

This option includes the hydraulic cylinders too. Bolts and sockets.

scan
Old 06-07-2013, 08:32 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

If you do decide to replace the top yourself there is a guy on Ebay selling how to videos with step by step instructions for top replacement that is well worth the money. It takes all the mystery out of the job.

AOKSALES is the vendor I believe.

When you get your new top, don't forget to get the replacement that has the rear defrost glass if your car is so equipped now. I forgot that little tidbit until the very end of my install.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:04 PM
Helotech

OK guys, here's a couple before and afters of my new top. this was very intimidating job but it came out really good and only took about 8 hours of steady work.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Helotech

lets try it this way

Old 06-10-2013, 10:58 AM
Special20
1st Gear Member

Looks great. Did you get the DVD from aoksales and if you did, were there anything that was left out? Also, what size staples did you use-- Thanks
Old 06-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Helo-tech

thanks, no I didn't get the DVD, I did watch as many videos as I could find on u-tube, the instructions that came with the top were OK but not great, the best thing to do is use ALOT of common sense, a good fabric marker pencil and a ton of patientence. the hardest part is getting the section with the rear window and the main roof section to "stretch" the same amount. if you get one tighter than the other it causes problems, I ended up re-attaching the rear sections 4 times before I got it where I was happy with it. the "kit" I bought came with both top sections, new tack strip, glue, staples and the front to back webbing. I only had to use a couple pieces of tack strip because the rest was in good shape, the staples wouldn't fit in any staple gun I had on hand so I just used some T-50 "monel" staples from Home Depot (3/8"), they worked fine for everything.

my advice is to measure/mark every seam, joint, overlay where the two pieces meet and then transfer the marks to the new section. the instructions tell you this but if you miss just one place it makes it tough. all this is assuming your existing top fits good as it is.

you will need a couple different sizes of Torx bits, some spring clamps and on mine, a deep will 13mm 12 point socket was the ticket for the "nuts" that hold the rear window mounting bars in place.]

also, on my top ('99), there are rivets holding the tack strip to the front header bar, both top and bottom, you will have to drill those out to replace the tack strip, then you will need new rivets to replace them with, I ended up using 1/8" for the short tack stips that are on top of the header bar, and 3/16" for the tack strip that is under the header bar.

Last edited by Helo-tech; 06-10-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Special20
1st Gear Member

Great information. I will bookmark this page for future use. My top is in good shape now, but trouble is only a thunderstorm away-- Thanks again
Old 06-29-2013, 01:29 PM
Special20
1st Gear Member

Helo-tech-- One quick question-- Where did you purchase your top kit? I have been researching and surfing for a while now-- Thanks

Quick Reply: new 'stang guy with a question