Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Qtr glass windows wont work

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 07:41 PM
883Cobra

Default Qtr glass windows wont work

I am having some major headaches in trying to get the qtr glass windows to work.I own a 1994 Mustang Pace Car.I will try to explain what I have done to try to get the windows to work without being confusing.
When I got the car the rear windows wouldnt work so I figured easy fix after I made sure the fuse was good.I purchased new motors and installed them.While I was installing them I went ahead and greased the window tracks.Before I reinstalled the interior panels I checked to make sure they worked,no dice still didnt work.So I checked the master switch and from what I know how to check a switch power was turning off and on at the plug that goes to the motor on the drivers side.But on the passenger side my test light bearly lit up. am guessing it could be a ground issue but I am not sure where and how to check to find the problem.From what I can tell on the wiring diagram in my Ford shop manual its pretty straight forward on how the windows are wired up.
If my problem was expressed with any level of sense I am looking for any and all advice to get these windows to work.I have looked into getting our local Ford dealer and other shops to fix it but the shop rates are crazy high and I figured I would try to fix them myself.
Thank you for any help you can offer
Old 08-19-2013, 08:35 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

I would first jump power to the windows and make sure they run up and down. Then search a wiring diagram for the switch setup.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Mustang_Don

There may be an easy fix you can try before removing the rear interior panels to access the window mechanism. The rt qtr window on the GT I recently bought didn't work before I picked up the car, so the dealer had to fix it before I accepted the car. I asked what it took to fix it when I picked up the car, and (supposedly) it was nothing but a dirty rocker switch that they cleaned up with some spray contact cleaner. Not sure how to get to the door/window switches on the driver's door, but I haven't looked closely to try to figure it out. When you go to troubleshoot the problem with a multimeter, be sure to look at the wiring diagram closely enough to know what you're looking for. I don't have a shop manual for mine (yet), but if I remember correctly when I had to fix a power window on a Ford Country Squire SW many years ago there were two wires going to the pw motor, and the rocker switch applied 12v to one wire and grounded the other to roll the window down, and reversed the connections (thus the polarity) to roll the window up. If the Mustang pw works the same way, this would be nice to know when you're probing with the multimeter.