Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Windows Won't Stay Up

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 01:51 PM
GTgirlCA

Default Auto Windows Won't Stay Up

I have looked through different threads and can't seem to find anyone else with this problem. I have a 2006 Convertible GT and every time I roll the windows up, they get to the top and automatically roll back down again.
It drives me absolutely F-ing crazy!!
There are a couple ways to cheat around it, but it is a pain in the a$$!
I can a.) roll them up to about an inch to the top and scoot them up a mm at a time and they will stay up or b.) open the door and roll them up or c.) pull the manual (cuz I never remember the exact procedure) and after you get the windows up, you are suppose to hold the window "up" switch for 10 seconds, and its suppose to fix the problem. However, its only a temporary fix and they continue the bounce back down problem after a day or so of working properly.
I have had this problem since about 6 months after purchasing the car. The dealership just tells me to do the "hold the switch" procedure and doesn't give a damn that it only works temporarily.
Now that my warranty is up, I have no recourse. One more reason, my Ford is pushing me back to being a Chevy Girl.
That and the **** on the back of the front seats, that leans them forward, for rear passengers to get in the back, both broke off within the first year. Had them replaced, both broke off again. Talk about cheap parts! Never had this problem with ANY of my Chevys!
Old 10-15-2013, 03:57 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

If the windows are getting all the way up and then going down on their own, it sounds like one of a couple things. It sounds like the safety system is kicking in. If the window senses an odd drag when closing, it will open instantly....like someones hand in the window. This can be simulated by dirty tracks causing the window to drag, hard grease in the tracks causing drag, or possible the seals getting hard and the window slowing down to much. Another thing could be the tracks are loose in the door.

I have seen this on one 07 and we cleaned and lubed the entire track system. I also found one bolt loose in each door. Last I checked, the owner is having no issues.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:00 AM
GTgirlCA

Thanks, I appreciate your input..
Old 01-15-2018, 03:57 PM
Savannah Celeste Synns

Default 2006 mustang

I have had the same problem with my 06. I've had problems with the auto windows not going up or down. Only when they choose to. Get them all the way up and automatically go back down. I've had my car for 10 months and have replaced the back seat levers as well, just so they can break of again. Disappointed with ford...
Old 02-11-2018, 08:42 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

I had a very similar problem with my 07 Navigator so maybe this will help. When I installed a new window motor it would go up then instantly go back down.

I kept doing the steps to program the new motor but no fix. Finally I busted out the shop manual and read that before I programmed the new motor that I de-program it first. It was a very simple process once I figured that little tidbit out.