Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing quarter window seals - and motor fix

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 02:30 PM
Roger Mabry
1st Gear Member

Default Replacing quarter window seals - and motor fix

When I got this Mustang (1990) the PO had new quarter window seals in the trunk along with other parts that needed installation.

The cracks and tears in the seals made this a priority item before our rain starts soon....plus the motor would not go up or down all the time.

I took out the passenger side motor today as it was not going up or down smoothly - the plastic "stops" inside were completely gone...just like the
drivers side had that I already fixed. I bought a motor repair kit last time but found it only needed the plastic stops (3) per motor.

This time I put in 1/4 inch five sided nuts and grease when done. The motor now works perfectly again.

I managed to tear off the old rubber seal by using a long awl type tool in the T slot, then by using gripping pliers, pulled on the seal outward to remove
one side from the T slot...pulling down and outward it came out in pieces...it has metal in the slot and it is hard to get out - but doable..

I was quoted $35.00 per side by a glass shop and I had to take the window out and take it all to the shop... it is just a lot of hard pulling...

Using Windex, then liquid dish soap, I pulled the new seal into the slot and downward..the window was flexing too much so I removed the metal seal piece from the window to install the seal off the window. By using more "lube" and lots of down force with my hands I was able to get the seal into the slot and all the way down into place.

Using silicone, I put the metal edge with the new seal back onto the glass...now for the other side and it's motor and seal...it will be a lot easier...
Old 09-17-2013, 12:52 PM
Roger Mabry
1st Gear Member

Smile Second side only took one hour to complete

I R&R the drivers side rear window motor, cleaned up the insides, added the (3) three new nuts and grease. The motor worked perfectly now for no cost

I pulled off the old torn up quarter window seal and cleaned the grooves...finally found a good use for WD40 - sprayed it in the grooves and on the seal.

It went on rather easily this time with no drama... Adjusted the upper guide stops to make it fit the window when up and the door closed...

Am now ready for the rain to come...plus I saved $70.00 and am sure it is done correctly..

On to fixing the gas gauge that is always over Full and the broken speedo cable...

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 09-18-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:42 PM
jpdyno2

Default quarter window seal drama

When I did this same job, the drivers side took 10 minutes, yanked off, WD-40 slid it back on. When I did the passenger side, yanking pulled the metal frame off the Glass!!!!!!!!! After a major OH @#$%!! moment and a little thought, I used some Weatherstrip adhesive to glue the metal back to the glass, then proceded as normal a couple days later. No further issues.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:11 AM
Roger Mabry
1st Gear Member

Default Original quarter window seals much better quality

The original seals that came from Ford were MUCH better quality than the replacements - seems to be the same with the door, trunk and window seals as well.

The metal inside the seal was much stiffer and held real tightly in the window frame - they will come out with effort.

Replacement seals are much softer and the metal inside is very thin...very fragile in comparison. I am sure I could remove the replacement seals in seconds....