Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible hydralic system HELP!

Old 03-15-2014, 02:04 PM
01tripleblackvert

Default Convertible hydralic system HELP!

Alright so I have a 2001 mustang GT convertible triple black car. I could never get the hydraulic system to work right and apparently I bent the frame in the process. I needed a new top anyways do I bought a top and frame all in one and got a great deal and got it installed it looks great. But now I need the hydraulic system to work. I am on my second motor and second or third set of pistons. I finally put the right fluid in it and got it to work. But the don't work in unison one side will go all the way then the other side will go all the way out. sometimes they move a little bit at the same time but not for very long. I'm running out of patience and money to keep buying parts for the hydraulic system. I love the car and I'm almost done redoing it if I could just get this to work then I can move on to another section of the car. Please help!
Old 03-15-2014, 09:51 PM
Special20
1st Gear Member

It could be air in the system. After changing the the pump and/or pistons, you have to bleed the air out. With any luck, hopefully that is the problem.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:30 PM
01tripleblackvert

How would I go about doing that and would that explain why they don't move at the same time?
Old 03-15-2014, 11:09 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Check for a sharply bent plastic line to a cylinder. The air always worked out of mine as long as I ran it up and down at least 4 cycles as the fill instructions I found on line said, before re-installing the fill plug. A bit messy but you might disconnect the lines from each cylinder and watch the flow from each line for comparison of volume and flow timing. Be careful of the pressure. Stupid question but are all the cylinder mount points solid? Does one cylinder body move first instead of the ram?
Old 03-16-2014, 11:23 AM
01tripleblackvert

Alright ill try cycling it with the plug out and the whole system is disconnected from the car. Because on my last frame they wouldn't work right and it apparently bent my frame so they are sitting in my trunk. And all the line connections are tight but ill take them off and try some plumbers tape to be sure and none of them are kinked or bent. What happens is one will go all the way out or close too it then the other one will start to go all the way and catch up with the other one same way when retracting them. They both move freely but don't want to work in unison. I'll see if I can try the plumbers tape and cycling it without the plug in tonight if not ill try sometime this week.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:47 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

They may not move in unison when disconnected from the frame. A slight difference in the drag inside the cylinder may cause a delay in one. I remember hydraulic cylinders on farm equipment that we always installed completely before doing comparison tests....but this was years ago.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:21 PM
01tripleblackvert

That's what I'm starting to think I'm just trying to be extra careful like I said before cause I don't want to mess up this frame I can't afford it.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:09 PM
01tripleblackvert

Does anyone else know if they are or aren't supposed to move in unison?
Old 03-29-2014, 09:37 PM
Special20
1st Gear Member

I have read somewhere before that they do not move in unison when they are not mounted. When I changed my cylinders, I first hooked up the lines, mounted them, filled the pump with fluid. Then ran the top up and down with the plug out. I added fluid as needed as you can hear air in the lines. When I did not hear any air in the lines, I checked the fluid level(bottom of hole on pump with pump level) and replaced pump plug. Hope this helps.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:58 PM
01tripleblackvert

thank you it does, the only reason it concerned me is because one would almost be fully extended before the other moved. and is it normal for there to be like a vacuum like effect in the pump cause when I removed the plug it made like a whoosh sound like I let all the air out

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Convertible hydralic system HELP!