Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > General Tech > Convertible Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 08-31-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
pilgrim6

Vehicle: 1986 Mustang GT
Default Need top installation information

1986 GT IIRC, original should have been 2 pc with wire-on on rear bow. Top currently on the car (barely!!) has no wire-on. Rear curtain is oem type glass. Is this now a one piece top?

I am replacing it with a new top with plastic window. Budget is tight!. I do have a garage, and I did this before ( 1964 Falcon Sprint), buts its been a while, and from my initial survey of the situation, things are a little different. For instance---no wire-on ( as previously mentioned)
no front tack strip. Top was retained by a curved bar with screws into the front header. Header seal and weatherstrips simply glued to this.
tension cables--- Falcon was probably the last car w/o these, but I see where they are, and what they do.

I have looked at the available online installation instructions and they look woefully incomplete.
Can anyone scan the relevant pages from the FSM?

Any other help is greatly appreciated--but I am NOT taking it to a local pro upholstery shop. I have done this, and I WILL do this one.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
pilgrim6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
pilgrim6

One more thing....
How are the rear trim sticks removed? The one each each side of the rear 1/4 and the center piece, between the hinges.

Thanks for looking........and for help.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:27 PM   #3
scan1959
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: Professional convertible top technician

I don't think this one is available as a one piece top.

You picked a tough one to take on. Here's some tips:

The front header weatherseal and metal weatherseal track will need to come off. When you do this, you need to plan on having a new weatherseal available(if not actually in hand, then know where to buy one). Many previous installers glue the weatherseal in place and it comes out in 8 or 10 pieces.

The back window needs to be fitted first. Make sure the bow at the top of the window is at the correct bow height measurement, or the top cover won't fit.

The rear tack strips are attached with nuts on the studs coming out of the sides and rear.

Buy or rent a good stapler and use galvanized or stainless staples.

Have a garage, carport or dry area ready to store the car. It will take plenty of time.

Good Luck.
scan1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
pilgrim6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scan1959 View Post
I don't think this one is available as a one piece top.

You picked a tough one to take on. Here's some tips:

The front header weatherseal and metal weatherseal track will need to come off. When you do this, you need to plan on having a new weatherseal available(if not actually in hand, then know where to buy one). Many previous installers glue the weatherseal in place and it comes out in 8 or 10 pieces.

The back window needs to be fitted first. Make sure the bow at the top of the window is at the correct bow height measurement, or the top cover won't fit.

The rear tack strips are attached with nuts on the studs coming out of the sides and rear.

Buy or rent a good stapler and use galvanized or stainless staples.

Have a garage, carport or dry area ready to store the car. It will take plenty of time.

Good Luck.
Thanks for the reply. I waited to order my top until had the old one off. You are correct; the front seal was glued on. I got it out in one piece, but there are a few slices, and a LOT of glue!!! A new one is coming.
I found the measurement for the fourth bow on a website. I will use that if the new top has no better information.
I think I am ready, but I am an information *****-- meaning I will take all the information I can get. Never have too much information.
It really wasn't much different from the Falcon I did some years ago. That one I trial fitted about 6 times before stapling anything. This may go the same way.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:31 PM   #5
scan1959
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: Professional convertible top technician

Pilgrim,

Don't forget the pads. If the underside(facing the seats) has been worn through in places, replace the pads. A new top that isn't protected won't wear very long. You'll be doing this job again soon.

scan
scan1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:12 PM   #6
pilgrim6

Ordered top, curtain, seal, cables and pads.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:12 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement