Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling my hair out! top won't raise or lower

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 10:33 AM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

Default Pulling my hair out! top won't raise or lower

Ok I have read through this forum top to bottom and I don't know what else to do.
My convertible top was working when I bought it. After about 6 months it got slower and slower.. then wouldnt open or close.
After reading I decided I needed new hydraulic arms so I replaced them. That didn't work. So I bought a pump. Used mercon III and bled the system by cycling it 5 or 6 times filling the pump each time.
Still doesn't work. I don't see any kinks in the lines, don't see any active leaks. Top moves up and down without binding (by hand) .

Anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 12-15-2014, 12:33 PM
The Alien
1st Gear Member

It should be an hydraulic issue but you replaced all the parts you had too so I'm not sure you can do more than this.

The only extra thing I have on my mind is to check the electric wiring, maybe an issue on the relay or wiring that do not accept anymore heavy load.

try to disconnect the hydraulic arms from the top frame and check if without load everything is working fine.
If you still have the issue, definitely is electric and you can try to use a temporary wiring from the battery to the motor to see if it's better.

If without frame is going better, it can be electric again or maybe a part of the frame broke or torn (even if moving by hand it moves easy, you are pulling from a different leverage area and it can be broken somewhere else)
Old 12-15-2014, 01:06 PM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the reply.
Good idea. I tried moving the hydraulic arms before they were connected but that just showed they moved freely.
I will try your suggestions thos weekend and post results.

Last edited by Sandmanbjj; 12-15-2014 at 01:06 PM. Reason: adding to post
Old 12-16-2014, 04:41 PM
Special20
1st Gear Member

Hi-- I would loosen the lines at the pump, operate the pump and see if fluid seeps out. This will prove that fluid is being pumped out. Then I would loosen the lines at the cylinders and operate the pump again. If fluid seeps out of the lines, then this again proves you have pressure to the cylinders. This rules out a pump problem. One other thing, did you make sure the lines were put back on the cylinders in the right place. In other words, make sure nothing was reversed. The top lines of the cylinders come off one side of the pump and the bottom lines come off the other side. Make sure you did not switch these up. Keep us posted.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:57 AM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

I'm actually going to have time to do all this in about an hour. I will be sure to update yall.
When I originally swapped cylinders I was careful to put the lines back proper. But after I pulled them and replaced them a few times I can't remember to specifically watch that so I will double check that for sure.
Thanks for these tips.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:44 PM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

Problem solved.
I first disconnected the ccylinder arms from the top. And both arms went up and down. But just to be sure I disconnected the lines at the cylinder ends also just to make sure everything was pumpin fluid propely. It was.
I reconnected my lines and and began to bleed the system. And to make sure air was not the problem I held the button down longer than normal. The rod on one cylinder popped out completely. Apparently it wasn't screwed in properly. So I changed out that cylinder, bled the system and it works perfectly now.
Thank you for all the help guys. I was at wits end. And although the problem was not specifically listed, the suggestions yall gave me lead to finding the actual problem.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:16 PM
The Alien
1st Gear Member

I'm glad you fixed it.

Now enjoy your ride, I miss my Vert
Old 12-20-2014, 06:37 AM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

I'm just glad it wasn't electrical. I absolutely didn't want to mess with the electrical. For some reason it's a complete nightmare to me in a car. I can wire a house. UT a car is a nightmare
Old 01-11-2015, 07:29 PM
mmmdaddy57

Most problems with electrical end up being a ground problem. If you ever see a car going down the street with one headlight dim nine out of ten times its the ground to that light. So always check your grounds and power first. (after checking the fuses)